Thread: plastic wrapping a boat for winter

Default plastic wrapping a boat for winter

Anyone have any good suggestions for boat wrappers in Anchorage.

About how much does it run/ boat length. Is it worth it?

Talking

I don't know where you are at but Homer Boat Yard charges $20 a foot, plus extar if you want zipper door. I know at one time there was a couple of guys in the Anchorage area that would come to your house and do it, no idea on charge. Is it worth it, I think so if you are storing outside. Make sure you have vents so air can move and keep moisture down or there will be a real mildew problem.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by akseagirl View Post
    Anyone have any good suggestions for boat wrappers in Anchorage.

About how much does it run/ boat length. Is it worth it?
    Durawrap Alaska in Wasilla comes to your boat in Anchorage - last year he was about $16/ft if my feeble memory serves me. It cost me close to $400 last year & it was great. Boat was dry, the wrap held up all winter & no mold or mildew at all. You might want to ask them to wrap your prop & lower unit to keep the water out of them - I didn't think of it until too late & just put a plastic compactor bag & duct tape over it instead. This is the only company I have any experience with, but Carl wraps a lot of commercial freight for the company I work for.

You can take your boat Brown Bear in Anchorage for about $19/ft (last years price again).

There is another outfit from Anchorage advertising on Craigslist this year and Stormchasers Marine in Seward will wrap your boat in their yard, no idea what either one charges.

Good luck.

Default Do it yourself kit

It has been a few years back - but West Marine used to sell a kit that included the torch and wrap - the initial kit cost just some up front - but the savings is having the tools to do it many times - maybe even your neighbors. It might be worth checking into if you planned on doing it for a few years.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...tial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=shrink wrap&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=shrink wrap&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5000&subdeptNum=4&c lassNum=777
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Two guys in the Anchorage area

Norm at www.alaskamobileshrinkwrap.com got some information from him as well. Both gave great prices compaired to others in the area. Quoted me $460 for my 2452 Bayliner.

You can contact John at john@shrinkwrapalaska.mobi Below is his response to my question regarding my boat.

Sounds like a great price.

OK, yes I have done a few Bayliners, all of different lengths. When you say that you have a 2452 Baylner I'm guessing that it is 24 feet and 52 inches, right? OK, so now are there engines on the back? If so then add 2 feet to your total of 26 feet (rounded down) so, the cost is $260 dollars. That includes air vents and mildew bag. If you are still interested please let me know soon because I will be in Seward next week and then Kenai the week after. Thank, John

Also add on Craigslist.

Winter is on the way. Get your boat ready. We will shrink wrap it at your location
    john@shrinkwrapalaska.mobi
    We also wrap many other things. Wave runners, motorcycles, cars, planes, etc, etc
    (907) 602-1973, thanks.

Good luck. I will not have mine done for pictures until after Turkey Day...going on a deer hunt. I will send pictures to whoever wants to see the work after that though.

DH

I had durawrap do my jetboat for a few years before i bought the bigger boat, and they did a good job. I liked it that they came out to the house and did it here. The kingfisher has no canvas, so I haven't been wrapping it. But it sure is nice to open up a clean boat in the spring with no leaves or debris on the deck...

Default I shrunk it

I used John (Shrinp Wrap Alaska, listed above) and he did a good job. He came to my house and did it, and it cost $375, which was $10/ft for the 35ft overall length plus $25 for the zipper entry. Probably not necessary, but it will be nice and clean in the spring time.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Kingfisher 2825, I've got the same boat. Is there any prep work, as in build a frame work of sorts, or did he just "do it". I like the looks of that. I have always just let mine sit "as is" but it does get dirty, even on the inside. Price seems reasonable.

Default Re-use shrink wrap?

Can the shrink wrap "package" be cut strategically and re-used a second winter? Or is it an annual cost?

Default Shrink wrap

Quote Originally Posted by WalknBob View Post
    Can the shrink wrap "package" be cut strategically and re-used a second winter? Or is it an annual cost?

Hello all this is Norm with Alaska Mobile Shrink Wrap,

Re - using the wrap is hard to advertise, too many variables in my experiance but I have heard of it working very well for a couple people.

Boat shape and size are the main variables. The goal of the shrink film is to shed snow/rain and keep the vessel clean and dry, shrinking tight sometimes causes issues with the re - use.

This year I wanted to do some work on my personel jetboat after it was wrapped and was able to cut the film in a PLEAT and reseal with shrink wrap tape good as new, that could be an option for re - use.

HOMERTIME,

I build the framework and provide vents for my customers.

Met a bunch of really great folks this year, and have been updating my websight page ( this years work ) with pics.

Thanks Again,
    Norm