Thread: Metal Creek

Question Metal Creek

Has anyone been across Metal Creek ( Knik Glacier) on an ATV lately? Last time I was up, it was way high.

Quote Originally Posted by AKLIVENDIE View Post
    Has anyone been across Metal Creek ( Knik Glacier) on an ATV lately? Last time I was up, it was way high.
    it is usually advisable to wait a little later in the year. The temps are down but the rain is up so Metal Creek usually is still too high. I always go out there with crossing in mind but find winter is really the best time to cross.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default What about Friday Creek?

Heard a rumor that Friday Creek is no longer going into the swamp and is now running right into the Knik.

So, has anyone gone back and found Friday to be a higher flow than normal?

We will all find out soon enough next week at the poker run on the status of Friday creek.

Default Friday Creek

Just got back from a run to Wolf Point with my wife and kids. 9 year old's first trip on her own driving and she had no problem with any of the water levels ('86 Honda 200SX). Jim Creek is still the deepest crossing as Friday is way down. Lotta puddles after the recent rains but with a week of less than crappy weather, the Poker Run should be fairly kid friendly. Was beautiful out there today with the sun shining. Hope Saturday is anything like today was.

Default not bad

We crossed metal creek several times this last weekend. It is about a foot and a half to 2 ft closer to the knick where it braids out.

Default Thanks jdo!

We have never had a problem crossing in early Oct. but this year much has changed. Going to head up that way this weekend, try to fill a Goat tag and maybe a bear.

how did you get a goat tag for out there. i used to get them and then was told it was closed to hunting?!!!! if it is still open I would like to know them goats are good eatin

Drawing Tag DG866 . It may go Registration hunt after Oct. 31st.

Thumbs up good luck AK

We got within about 75yd's of a nice blacky in there just before losing it into the brush, hopefully our bad luck will be your good fortune, Lookin forward to a update next week.

Quote Originally Posted by jdo View Post
    hopefully our bad luck will be your good fortune, Lookin forward to a update next week.

Thanks, I'll be sure post an update.

Quote Originally Posted by AKLIVENDIE View Post
    PLZ keep us updated if you get anymore information.

Default Never been up Knik before

I have never been up there before, after reading this post I looked up metal creek on the map. I would love to go up there this weekend, can anyone help me out with directions. My poor Rhino has only been to Eklutna and plowed the driveway last winter.

Thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    I have never been up there before, after reading this post I looked up metal creek on the map. I would love to go up there this weekend, can anyone help me out with directions. My poor Rhino has only been to Eklutna and plowed the driveway last winter.

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve,
    For your first time up there, I would definitely suggest having one or more machines along with you. Along the Knik River flats there are countless braided trails--most will eventually get you to where you want to go, but it really helps to know the terrain before heading out solo.

While Metal Creek is crossable this time of year, you have to know how to read the water surface to estimate the depth, and it really helps to have additional machines (with strong riders) should you get stuck.

Basically, here's the route:
    - Park at the Pavilion parking lot (large gravel lot, towards the end of Sullivan Road on your right.
    - Follow the main Jeep trail for about a mile and a half through the woods.
    - When you exit the woods, turn left, and skirt the tree line for about another mile and a half until you reach Jim Creek. (Look for tiremarks on both banks in the sand for suggestions where to cross.)
    - Cross Jim Creek, head about 10 miles (following the tree line, where there are plenty of trails) until you reach Wolf Point. YOu will cross another creek or two along the way--they aren't very deep this time of year.
    - At Wolf Point, the trail cuts to the left, and eventually follows a wide gravel creek bed for about a mile or so.
    - The trail then turns right and heads into the woods. Follow the main trail (although there are quite a few side trails, which are difficult to explain) for about 2-3 miles until you reach the gravel river bar again.
    - Turn left and parallel the tree line for another 10 miles until you reach Metal Creek. Through this stretch there are plenty of braided trails--if you hug the base of the hill too much you end up in trails which typically flood. Not too bad this time of year--but it's a lot drier if you keep about a quarter mile from the base of the hill.
    - Cross Metail Creek where it braids out into 4 or 5 channels. Do not try to cross it where it is just one channel..
    - On the other side, you will see trails heading across the moraine. Go up over the moraine to reach the glacier.

Round trip to the glacier is right around 50 miles.

Thanks for the directions and the advice, I also just found the maps on the atv club website. I am hoping a buddy is going to with me,but we will have to wait and see.

Thanks

Steve

Default Update

Well no Goat. Seen a few, 150 yards from a nice Billy, but wasnt sure if It could of been retreived after shot. Tough hunting in Metal Ck canon. Lots of Black Bear.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AKLIVENDIE

"PLZ keep us updated if you get anymore information"

Sorry, this area will not be open to registration. Lake George will be though.

I tried to make it up there this morning. I started off when it was still dark. I must have not found the right trail. I made it to the first creek crossing but did not feel comfortable crossing it without someone else to tow me out if I got stuck. Nothing out there to hook the winch to. So I drove some of the trails, saw 3 moose, 1 eagle. Had a good time, but think I need to follow someone who knows the way out there or at least go with someone else. Still it was a nice ride, but very cold, about 13 degrees when I started out this morning. I was surprised that there was no one else out there, even when I got back to the parking lot there were no other vehicles there. Maybe I was just too early, but I had to be back by a certain time as we were having a birthday party today.

Steve