Thread: cabelas hawkin traditional muzzleloader

Default cabelas hawkin traditional muzzleloader

I was thinking about picking one of these up for deer and would like to know if anyone has put them to work and how well they perform. I know there not top of the line, although there cheap and i could see my self out there in a coon skin cap toten one of these suckers around.

Actually, among serious muzzleloaders they're regarded as very good value for your bux. I don't own one, but a bud does and I've shot it often. It's very accurate, plus fit and finish are a lot better than you would guess for the price. Don't wait till deer season to use it though! Use reduced loads for head shooting snowshoe hares. I'm willing it will be accurate enough for head shots well past 25 yards if you do your part.

that sounds like a good way to get use to it. with using reduced loads, is that using lead balls or sabots and such?

That's with the patched round ball. If I recall, the Cabelas has a 1:48 twist barrel which does well with the PRB. "True" PRB twists are more like 1:66 or so, while conical twists are usually 1:28 or 1:32. The 1:48 was intended as a compromise, and from what I have seen it works well with both.

You don't say whether you have a 50 cal or a 54. My bud's is a 50, and he found 30 grains of Pyrodex P or FFFg black powder to be just right for a light bunny load. I use the same charge in my 54 Lyman with great results. Most folks run their charges up to 50 or so for target and 80-90 of FFg or Pyrodex RS for hunting with 50 cals. I use the same 50 grain charge in my 54 for target, but run 90 grains of RS for hunting loads. A 50 PRB might be a little light on moose, but if you look under the thread about Effectiveness" you'll see that a conical would probably do a nice job.

thanks for the info. I will put it to good use. Sarting out going after hares with it will be good practise.

One final piece of advice on sighting in. More than any other guns I've ever encountered, muzzleloaders shoot differently from the bench than offhand or other field positions. When shooting from a bench, hold the rifle more or less like you would offhand, then rest your forend hand on the rifle rest and simply brace your chest against the edge of the bench to steady the butt. That should get things pretty well lined up for how it will shoot away from the bench. If you use conventional benchrest techniques for sighting, that sucker is likely to throw your shots way off POI for unrested shooting.

With a 1-48" twist and 80-90gr FFG the roundball would do great in that rifle. The rifle would also do good with some conicals like the Hornady Great Plains.

Thumbs up T/C Hawken

If you are going to a side hammer the T/C Hawken is much better quality, and use the T/C Maxi Ball for Alaska hunting...... 50 cal., 90gr FFG 777, CCI Mag Primer, 370gr T/C Maxi Ball lubed. Take care of it and will last your lifetime!
    Alaska