Thread: Too young to shoot

Default Too young to shoot

My five year old was with my buddy and I when he filled his cow tag in August. He shot her on the 21st. The big man took a little convincing she wasn't going to get back up, but eventually got real interested in the anatomy of the old gal. He was particularly impressed with the volume of blood. I have never answered so many questions while butchering an animal and it was hot and buggy. I really enjoyed having him with us though. He caught his first solo silver that morning also.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    My five year old was with my buddy and I when he filled his cow tag in August. He shot her on the 21st. The big man took a little convincing she wasn't going to get back up, but eventually got real interested in the anatomy of the old gal. He was particularly impressed with the volume of blood. I have never answered so many questions while butchering an animal and it was hot and buggy. I really enjoyed having him with us though. He caught his first solo silver that morning also.
    A great time with your son. I suspect he will remember that the rest of his life. You can't do much better than positive times afield with your loved ones; you experienced a real blessing.

Most Excellent!

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

haha way to cool! what did he shoot it with?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Great experience for a kid

Great to see people getting out to hunt with their kids. I know it was a very positive experience with me as a kid going on hunts with my family from about age 2 on up. All through the trips, they would have me help out to whatever level I could, whether it was just holding a piece of hide back so they could work on gutting, to holding a leg out of the way to helping bag the meat to helping skin it out. They would point out where certain things were. As a kid, my favoriate food was moose ribs, so my dad would show me the ribs and then where other types of meals came from (steaks, hamburger, roasts, etc...). From a very young age, I associated our hunting with the good meals we ate at home. To this day, my first thought about hunting is the meat on the table, not the trophy value. Probably why the last 4 animals I have gotten have been cows. I got meat in the freezer which was the goal. It would be great to get a nice big bull for the trophy value here and there, but first priority is meat in the freezer. We would do all the butchering and packaging on our dining table at home (no sending it to the processor except for specialty items like sausage or hotdogs) so the entire family would help with the process from in the field to in the freezer/on the table.

Being on the trips as a very young kid made it part of my lifestyle. I got my first caribou at age 11 and my first moose at 14. It's a part of my life and will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Lots of meat there and memories you cant buy in a grocery store! Well done!