Thread: Do You Have Your VHF Hooked to Your GPS?

Default Do You Have Your VHF Hooked to Your GPS?

I found this on another forum and found the program very informative. You can bet my next VHF will have DCS Capibilities!!

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/dsc/player.html

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Yes

Connected my Garmin 498 to my Standard GX1000S, DSC, Digital Selective Calling, with the push of one button it will transmit my Lat/Log

The U.S. Coast Guard offers MF/HF radiotelephone service to mariners as part of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System. This service, called digital selective calling (DSC), allows mariners to instantly send an automatically formatted distress alert to the Coast Guard or other rescue authority anywhere in the world. Digital selective calling also allows mariners to initiate or receive distress, urgency, safety and routine radiotelephone calls to or from any similarly equipped vessel or shore station, without requiring either party to be near a radio loudspeaker. DSC acts like the dial and bell of a telephone, allowing you to "direct dial" and "ring" other radios, or allow others to "ring" you, without having to listen to a speaker. New VHF and HF radiotelephones have DSC capability.
    You need to get a free MMSI number, IBoat offers up the forms free. If I knwe some one elses MMSI number I could call them just like a phone via VHF-70.
    It did take a little thinking to get connected and working, different colored wires fro each unit, but Standard & Garmin confirmed that connection, then turn on the NMEA out put, BINGO. I still have those wiring diagrahms. I did a whole big thread about this in May when I did mine. Slick like having a EPIRB.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Connected my Garmin 498 to my Standard GX1000S, DSC, Digital Selective Calling, with the push of one button it will transmit my Lat/Log

Our VHF has that capability and we have our number but I have yet to figure out the wiring to connect it to our Garmin 4010. I was under the impression that USCG in AK wasn't monitoring DSC calling capabilities yet.

Default Nope they started this year.

Info ; Marine VHF Radio equipped with DSC
    was a post I did about this in 3/19/09, there I have the wiring diagrahm posted, if you PM me an email address I'll send it.

Default Here if it works

The wire connections!
    Attached Files Attached Files

So is this used in PWS? The USCG doesn’t monitor???? (New Thread)

Not only for rescue, but to hail a friend for which you have a DSC for?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

If you and fellow boater got the right features, and got them turned on, you can even see where he is without even talking to him.

Default Dsc & mmsi

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    If you and fellow boater got the right features, and got them turned on, you can even see where he is without even talking to him.
    You can also set it up so that you could monitor a group of friends on your GPS. I think you can even do some sort of private or party line type of call where only the people whose MMSI numbers have been entereed will receive the call (meaning personal jabber). But since it is via radio I'm not sure how that could work.