Thread: 35 Whelen Is On The Way

Default 35 Whelen Is On The Way

Today I ordered an Encore barrel in 35 whelen 1/14 twist 28" SS fluted barrel. For a stock I plan to buy a prohunter hardwoods stock and I'm unsure about which scope I will top it with at the moment.

I'm anxious to start loading for this caliber and burning some powder at the range. I'm very excited.

Sounds great. What bullet are you looking at. The 225 partition would be awesome.

Hey, nice caliber there, that is a good round to load for. That barrel will give some good velocities, too. It is also a very strong gun so you can realize the full potential of the Whelen.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sounds like a fun gun James.. Should reach out and touchem. That set up I would think about a good laminated thumb hole stock for the stablity and and change of weather conditions.

So what was the tipping factor between it and the 338-06?

I was planning to have a rifle built on a left handed action sometime in the near future, but I never dedicated myself to one particular cartridge. I went back and forth between the 338 Fed, 358 Win, 350 Rem Mag, & the 35 Whelen, I even thought about a 338-06 for awhile. I finally realized $1500 to $2500 for a custom rifle + optics is a bit much for me right now, so I started looking at TC's and they really caught my interest. I contacted TC and was informed it's their busy time of the year, so ordering a barrel from their custom shop will involve a very lengthy lead time. Then I found a TC 35 whelen barrel that perfectly fit the bill at a gun store in MS. It will ship out today.

I could have gone with any of the calibers listed and I would have been happy, but availability somewhat decided for me. Secondly, after constantly reading about the 35 whelen, the cartridges history, and pouring over load data I was leaning toward the whelen anyways. Kind of like picking between 45/70 and a 450, for me the history of the 45/70 trumped it's newer ballistic brother.

Good buy James. Im quite interested in some results with the 28" barrel!!

I too am thinking of a TC, solid starter for the wife.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fedex dropped off the barrel today. All I need now is the frame, prohunter stalk, dies, 06 brass, bullets, some RL15, rings, and a scope.

I'm having trouble choosing a scope and have somewhat settled on the Leupold name. The Vari-x 2 3-9x40 on my RUM has taken a tremendous beating over the years and has held zero very well. I can't say the same for the leupold rings and bases though. At the moment I'm thinking VX 3 2.5-8X36 or a VX 3 3.5-10x40. I would like a scope that will allow me to reach out to 300 yards if need be (I prefer shots at or under 200 yards) and still has good light transfer for evening hunts. The VX 2 2-7x33 is on my mind as well. I considered a fixed 4x or 6x but at the moment a vari power is more appealing. Maybe a 2-7x50 with a 30mm tube would do the job?

How would you scope this rifle?

Default scope...

I would go with the VX2 2-7X. More than enough for big game out to 300 yards, and will gather plenty of light. Any bigger than that seems like overkill on a Whelen.

I just recently put a VX3 2.5x8 with the B&C reticle on my 338 Win Mag and it is a great scope. Very clear and somewhat compact also. I think I am a fan of them. 8X offers plenty for longer ranges and should also do well on the low end for close in shooting. I have a Vari X II 3x9 on my Whelen and that is a great scope also. You really can't go wrong with any you mentioned, but the 50mm objectives generally sit to high in order to have a good stock weld, unless you do somekind of raised cheekpiece. You are going to like that Whelen. They are truly efficient and hard hitting with the heavier bullet weights. Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Fedex dropped off the barrel today. All I need now is the frame, prohunter stalk, dies, 06 brass, bullets, some RL15, rings, and a scope.

How would you scope this rifle?
    My Whelen has a 4.75X Weaver Grand Slam in S&K SKulptured Bases and one piece rings; I have been very satisfied with that setup. Any fairly small, durable scope that brackets magnification around 4X will work fine and I wouldn't worry too much about VX2 or VX3, etc. Leupold makes several scopes that will work perfectly.

As for bases and rings almost any setup that is properly installed will work fine. Personally ,I favor Conetrol rings and bases. Installed properly they look great and are very strong and produce zero torque on the scope. I also use Burris Signature Zee Rings (w/ synthetic inserts) with a steel cross slot type base. It is very secure, much less expensive and produces zero torque on the the scope, but it does not look as good IMO. I also use Leupold PRW rings with steel bases and S&K bases & rings. The Leupold is nearly bomb proof, but a little heavy if you are weight conscious; the S&K are about as light as you can go with steel rings and bases. These are the systems I use to mount scopes and the one I use depends on my preference for that particular rifle and the needs of the rifle--weight of rifle, weight of scope, recoil, mounting space on the scope, etc. You'll enjoy the Whelen, I know I do.
    Last edited by 1Cor15:19; 09-29-2009 at 10:36. Reason: added info.

I would lean to the 225gr Accubond for longer range work for most anything and the 250gr partition for when I needed the most penitration or when I thought most shots would be closer, but both will do 300 yards.

I second not going to high up the power meter for a scope a VXIII / II in 1.75-6 or 2-7 would be plenty.

Is this primeraly a bou or moose rifle?

GREAT choice. I have a friend offering to chamber one for me when I get the funds together for another project. I think this one is about 3rd in line at the moment. lol

Please post the info as you work it up!

The gun will be used for moose and bears. The hard part is finding either one of the two to shoot. I also picked up some 225gr accubonds today.

As far as rings go I'll be going with...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=365401

Thumbs up Love that Whelen!

WOW! 28" whelen barrel? You should get some good speed out of that thing, although the Whelen is no slouch anyways. I shoot a Ruger #1 in 35 whelen, and I have tried LOTS of powder and bullet combos and I have found RL-15 to come out on top most of the time so it is about all I use, and it burns really clean also. H322 (I think, I dont have access to my loading notes right now) was close as far as SD and muzzle velocity accross the board, but was really dirty. I tried the partitions both in 225 and 250 grain, Speer 250 gr grand slams, 225 gr accubonds, 225gr game kings, 225gr TSX's and speer 220 gr hot cor flat points. The 220 gr flat points are only loaded to about 2250 fps and are for brush hunting deer and such. What really came ouy on top was the TSX's. All of the above bullets performed fine within 100 yds, but the TSX really shined out to 300. I can hold them (when I do my part) to 3" at 300 regularly. I only push them to 2700fps- you should get a little more from that long tube. I am really interested in how it works out for you. Keep us posted!

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default A Whelen with some RPM's..!

Well, I would like to congraduate you on your choice of both caliber, and cartridge..,Well done.!

I really enjoy my Whelen, and hopefully within 2 1/2 weeks you will be reading about how mine has performed on Moose. I've a little number chambered in this outstanding cartridge made by Ruger on the #1. It's a "KA" model, 22" barrel with a 1 in 12" rate of twist with iron sights, and also wears a little M8 Leopuld 3x mounted to the quarter rib in some low Ruger rings. You'll have to develope your own receipe, but these guys here are great about offering that kind of help. Personally, I would look hard at IMR 4320 and H4895 as for powder selection, and for moose, I might suggest the 225 TSX, 250 Partition, or some of those fine bullets you all have up their in AK... of course, with that 1 in 14" rate of twist, I would think you could shoot just about any bullet weight, even the 310 Woodleigh.

Enjoy..!

You are going to have a really great shooting combo with that 28" barrel. You should be able to get 250's up over 2600FPS which will put you right in 338WM territory without alot of extra powder used. I like mine M700 CDL alot, and hopefully you will have a good time with yours. The .35's are addictive though. You are always looking for the next one! Scotty