Thread: Angled or Straight

Default Angled or Straight

I know this has been discused before, "I did read the past posts" but I'm about to buy a Swaro Spotter and I want to get it wright the 1st time! Some prefer Angle vs Straight why and how come? I would like to here from the Sheep Hunters and the Moose and Bear Hunters! I will be using it for everything that walks! The More input the better! Down Range Out!

Where are you getting your spotter from and which model?

Default 2 cents and a scenario

One argument for the angled is that you do not need as tall of a tripod with the angled because you look down into the scope, which would work great for spotting game above you or level with the spotter. Since I do not own one of these, does anyone know how they work for spotting game that is below the spotter? Seems like an awkward position to spotting from.

I'm looking @ swaro HD 65

I've use my angled spotter for a few years in varied situations and I like it more than I dislike it. It's easier on my neck. Remember, with most of them you can rotate the scope body if you want to. But, if I were scope shopping and found a screaming deal on a straight over an angled I'd probably go for it. Like the Zeiss 85 with the zoom on Anchorage Craigslist for 1000 bucks that I missed a few years back. It was straight but for that price who cares!

Default Hey Snyd

"Remember, with most of them you can rotate the scope body if you want to."

I don't get it. Can you turn the eye piece? How does that help? It just seems to me that you would be overly exposed to the animals if you were above them trying to look down. Maybe, I am over exagerating this in my head.

You rotate the entire body so you can look in it from the side. This is one of those questions no one will be able to answer for you. It is a personal preference/ fit sort of thing. FWIW I love the angle on my Swarvo HD65, particularly for sheep.

I am 6'5" tall so that weighed in on my choice of an angled scope. Tripods tall and stable enough to work for me are hard to find and the ones available tend to be heavy!

For what it's worth I'm thinking of buying a spotter before this coming spring. I asked Bob Hodson on his oppinion and he recommended having two. A straight as they make bear/moose much easier to find and aren't really a problem with heighth. An angled for sheep and goats because it's easier on you. I'd decide what you're going to hunt and buy they best for that. If you hunt bear and moose all the time, but sheep and goats infrequently then go with a straight. If you are a sheep and goat nut and occasionally hunt bear/moose get an angled. If you do both equally frequently buy a really good straight as bear/moose are more low light and a decent light weight angled.

FYI: I'm looking at top end as well (Swarovski, Leica). Just recently an independant European test found that the high end HD type Kowas beat Swarovski and Leica. I'm going to likely buy a Kowa because it seems to be the best at the momment and it cost a good bit less than Leica and is in the Swarovski price range. Just a thought.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    You rotate the entire body so you can look in it from the side. This is one of those questions no one will be able to answer for you. It is a personal preference/ fit sort of thing. FWIW I love the angle on my Swarvo HD65, particularly for sheep.
    Hey Dave, do you mind me asking which tripod you use with yours? Thanks, Chris

It is a compact Velbon, nothing fancy and takes some gettin used to, but works well for the price. If I could afford a carbon Gitzo I would really be set up.

Angled. I see zero advantage with a straight scope, unless you're in head-high brush all the time and can't get out.

I used straight scopes for some time and constantly had a crick in my neck and hated it went to an angled one and have found nothing negative about it while glassing moose, bears, caribou, and sheep so far plus the crick is gone for good!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.