Thread: Migration patterns???

Question Migration patterns???

I'm trying to figure out the migration patterns around Fairbanks. I see geese and cranes down in Delta (killed some last weekend) but I was wondering if those come out of Minto or from up North. I've been out in Minto fishing and seen tons of birds do they follow the Tannana upstream to Delta, Tok, into Canada and on South or do they head down toward Healy, Cantwell and down to Anchorage? Any inputs?

I was wondering about going out on the Tannana just downriver of Nennana or upstream from Fairbanks and setting goose, sandhill, duck spreads on river islands and seeing what works up/down the river. During migration times would that be worth the effort or should I stick to jump shooting sloughs? I'm already planning for next year.....

Yes to everything.

Don't know this as gospel but have been told that the majority of geese in the interior is from the YK Delta. Supposedly the geese from the slope follow the yukon river and then follow the Mackenzie valley down into Alberta.

Default makes sense

I was looking at some relief maps and that makes sense. The geese from North slope could run right up the Yukon and down into Canada really easy. Has anyone tried goose/duck huntin on the islands on the islands upstream of Circle? Seems like a good spread of dekes on an island might find some birds following the river. Besides keeping the 375 in the blind might find a suicidal moose while I'm out there. Circle is a long run. It would have to be a several day trip. Hmmm......