Thread: Grass isn't always greener, moose hunt

Default Grass isn't always greener, moose hunt

I'll try to shorten a long story. My wife & I had hunted an area in Unit 7 for 10+ years with a good friend. As time wore on the brown bear population went up and the moose population went down, that coupled with my wife having knee surgery, we thought a change was needed. About 5 years ago we started to try different areas, and began exploring other Units in the state. We invested in motorized toys and begin driving north to hunt, finding mixed results but enjoying the adventure. This year was no exception we went north again. We did find one large bull, but were not able to bring him home. Our good friend on the other hand stayed close to home and went back to see how the old "Honey Hole" was doing. After calling out 2 brown bears in the morning, he called out this great 60" bull & 2 cows. This is a 6 mile non-motorized hike, 36 hours later he got it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EJPainter; 09-23-2009 at 03:24. Reason: spelling
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Default Great bull

Wow, a six mile hike, I can't imagine doing that. He must be tough as nails. Nice long tines on that bull. Must have been pretty nervous about the bears coming to the call. Thanks, Mark

That is an awfully long way to pack out a big moose like that, did he have any help? I guess if you can pack a moose that far, in a non motorized area you definetly have an advantage

Well earned, for sure. How many trips in/out?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thumbs up

That was a long pack even in the old days,Salute to him

I'm pretty skeptical that one guy could pack an entire moose out alone, from six miles in, in 36 hours.

Beaut moose! 6 miles will separate the men from the boys for sure!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I'm pretty skeptical that one guy could pack an entire moose out alone, from six miles in, in 36 hours.
    I am too. Had to have had help. Just 5 trips alone would have been 60 miles half with loads too heavy for the average person. Most moose that size I would think would take around 6-8 loads depending on how its boned out or not. That would be atleast 72 miles in 36 hours. Heck I have a tough time with just a 60 lb pack maintaining 2 miles per hour without a trail. Regardless of how much help he had that is a WELL EARNED bull. Congrats!!!

Default I love long tines

Sounds like he worked his ***** off. Hauling a moose 1 mile is more than I care for. Good job to him.

Default Wow!

Three of us packed one 3/4 of a mile and another 1 1/2 miles one time and that was a killer! I would have also thought the bears would have claimed it before he could return unless they got "lead poisening"
    I would say thats a trophy he will never forget!!!

Looks like there wasnt too much brush to deal with based on how he has those antlers rigged on his pack!! You get a real idea how much power a big bull has when you try to carry out a big rack like that thru the alders...

Maybe it was bike accessible... the pics look like maybe taken by someone else who was along to help...

Also about the pics, I would think it would be some what dangerous to carry horns sticking up like that. A bad hunter could get buck fever and take a shot after seeing those horns sticking up above some brush. Those are some really nice horns though

Great looking bull!

A friend and I made four round-trip packs to get a moose out this weekend. Our hike was 1.6 miles, one-way. I can just imagine how tired this guy was, because I'm still walking funny.

Was his pack 6 miles one way?

Default Moose

I've seen countless moose and pictures over the years, I have to say that is absolutely one of the prettiest/neatest racks I have ever seen, awesome! Congrats too, my back hurts just thinking about haulin' that guy out, but I'd of done it for that one!

Default Impressive

RACK! Those tines are incredible! Impressive pack out also!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    RACK! Those tines are incredible! Impressive pack out also!
    No kiddin. I'd rather see a plethora of long tines than wide palms. Really adds a lot of character.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

the pics also look like one was taken at night and the other in the day...
    Awesome rack!!!

He got it alone in the morning, making it out with the first load at midnight, He then called in some troops for the return haul at 4:30am. I'm not going to give up all our secrects, but the work becomes alittle easier once it gets packed to an old trail. After all the blood, sweat, and tears he said it was worth it, but that first 12+ hours alone and thinking about those bears had him second guessing.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi