Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Who hunts without a GPS..."

Default The "Who hunts without a GPS..."

... thread struck a raw nerve with me:

My son-in-law and I were hunting on a lake off of Swanson River Road on Saturday. Yeah, not exactly wilderness hunting I know, but we've hunted about everywhere on the pen without connecting, and only had a brief window to try to get a moose before the season closed.

Anyway, we took a back way into this lake (which also has an official entrance from the road) and found some very promising meadows in the afternoon which we planned to hunker down in and do some calling. Just as we were paddling back to the camp along comes two very noisy guys in a red Coleman to investigate the area where we were obviously going to hunt. Well, end of the season, and lots of people were scrambling, so we knew we had no claim. The lake was fairly big, two parties could hunt it if these guys could just take a hint. A little disappointed, we made our way back to our camp to wait until sundown.

When the time came, we paddled to our chosen spots to sit, glass and call. And just about then, what should happen but that the guys in the red canoe start to fire semi-autos volley after volley in their camp. This went on for about an hour. Just when you'd think they were done, they'd fire off another 20 rounds of rapid fire which echoed around the lake.

I'm not sure if they were trying to harass us or what. The trailheads on all the lakes say: "No gun fire unless hunting", so these guys were clearly illegal in doing firing at all in that manner. But even more than that, who would be moronic enough to ruin everybody else's hunting within a mile or more radius, and on the last weekend of the season? I just don't get that kind of inconsiderateness.

No moose showed that evening or the next morning. I'm guessing that all the noise spooked them.

I thought about leaving a note on their vehicle but figured they would be too stupid or selfish to pay attention, so I let it go.

You really have converted to Pelosian Logic.

Now you want to take away people's right to bear arms.

Man, you are taking this Extreme Left Wing stuff too seriously
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Ouch...

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    You really have converted to Pelosian Logic.

Now you want to take away people's right to bear arms.

Man, you are taking this Extreme Left Wing stuff too seriously
    ... a little affirmation would be nice Jamie!
    Notice I'm not using my new identity on this particular forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Notice I'm not using my new identity on this particular forum.
    Oops, I guess I missed it
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Sayak I understand where you are coming from. Two weekends ago a buddy and I were putting a stalk on a legal bull on the mountain side, we were within 400 yards. I wanted to get within 300 yards before taking a shot. At this point a camp below us started firing off rounds from what sounded like a 22 pistol. This spooked the bull along with the cows he was herding. The moose were long gone by the time the target shooter started to reload for his second attempt at poking holes in a make shift target beside their camp along side a commonly used atv trail.

IMHO there's a difference between popping off a few rounds for ones own enjoyment, albiet within moose country during season, and the safety of a lost hunting partner. My conscience tells me, my hunting partner(s) and my own safety comes first and foremost over downed game.

I'm sure there's another side to the original story, I'd love to hear it.

`This all reminds me of an opposite experience I had back in 2002, when camping on a rough forest road right at about treeline on the Continental Divide in Colorado with my (then) fiance, brother, dad, and friends.

We had set up a nice camp off the road in a perfect place and were enjoying ourselves during the first day of a three-day camping trip. Them some dumdums riding seven ATVs kept riding back and forth; back and forth, essentially buzzing our camp.

We were going to go down into the canyon and do some shooting anyway. We got our stuff together early afternoon and headed down (about 75 yards from the road; facing an unoccupied canyon wall; this is legal in Colo.). This was after about two hours of regular ATV buzzing. While everyone else was loading up, I could hear the ATV dive bombers coming. I popped a pre-loaded 40-rd mag in my Colt HBAR, and emptied it into the far canyon wall in about 7 seconds. Sunglasses on, I looked over my shoulder at the obnoxious ATVers with the shocked look on their faces. They stopped for whatever reason about 300 yards away on a ridge above us and appeared to watch as me, my friends, and family shot probably about 750 rounds out of various rifles and pistols (including my fairly-loud 300 WM) at cans and milk jugs over the next 10 minutes.

We never saw (or mercifully heard) them again. Ahh, peace and quiet for the next three days.

Default Keep in mind

I sympathize with you, but you have to keep in mind that not everyone out there, even those others with guns, are hunters. If they are not hunters, or even if they are but may hunt other animals or other areas, they may not know that this was still open season or that it was the last weekend. They may have had no idea that their actions were impacting your hunting. I wasn't there, so I can't attest to how obvious your intentions were.

We all have to remember that yes, it may be hunting season for us, but there are lots of others who go out there to enjoy our great state with no intentions of hunting. They are just out to have a good time, which for some may include making a little more noise than others. Yes, they should be respectful of others in the area and follow the established rules for the area (such as the "no shooting unless hunting" signs you mentioned). Many times you won't have any problem with others, but from time to time, not everyone's actions will be in line with each other. That's just the way it is sometimes and we just have to work around it.

You could always do like old farts like me do . Go over and tell them to knock it the heck off or else.

I had this happen as well this season. Found a very nice spot near a lake next to a small grassy hill that had all sorts beds and tracks. On the way in I ran into some campers. I stopped told them I was going to be down the trail hunting that location. Sure enough just before sundown they came up. The women were on the hill picking blueberries and the guys were down by the lake playing in the mud on their wheelers.

I am wondering if I could have reported them under the Hunter Harrassment Law. It says it is illegal to position oneself in a location to alter the behavior of the game someone is pursuing. Has anyone here ever investigated on how well that law is enforced, it is in bold colored box in the regs, so someone thought it might be important.

Default I think they're just dumb...

Quote Originally Posted by psc210 View Post
    I had this happen as well this season. Found a very nice spot near a lake next to a small grassy hill that had all sorts beds and tracks. On the way in I ran into some campers. I stopped told them I was going to be down the trail hunting that location. Sure enough just before sundown they came up. The women were on the hill picking blueberries and the guys were down by the lake playing in the mud on their wheelers.

I am wondering if I could have reported them under the Hunter Harrassment Law. It says it is illegal to position oneself in a location to alter the behavior of the game someone is pursuing. Has anyone here ever investigated on how well that law is enforced, it is in bold colored box in the regs, so someone thought it might be important.
    ... uninformed, and inconsiderate. The two guys I wrote about were probably playing at hunting and had no clue that animals might be scared by repetitious gunfire. Probably had no idea about harassment of other hunters either. As many these days, they (I'm guessing) were focused on I, me and my, without regard for others around them. Kind of depressing.

I'm always willing to share the outdoors with all kinds of other users, but when those users seem intent on ruining it for everyone... well, there's no excuse for that. An hour of gun fire in a "wilderness area" is beyond any excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by psc210 View Post

I am not on anyones side here, but it sounds to me like the campers with the wheelers were already in that location, and just because you come in there and tell them you want to hunt doesn't mean they should have to leave the area, or maybe I am wrong all together. I am just saying, if someone is already camped out in an area, with no intentions of hunting, then they aren't obligated to leave the area just because someone wants to come in and hunt. On the other hand, if you are a camper and you come into an area with a hunter in it, you need to be respectful of him also. These are the reasons why I try to hunt where no one else is, though it's getting harder to find those places

To many folks doing nothing will only increase this behavior.You see it every day on T.V.,I didn't see nothing syndrome.Anybody could have somebody should have but nobody did

Default Gosh Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    To many folks doing nothing will only increase this behavior.You see it every day on T.V.,I didn't see nothing syndrome.Anybody could have somebody should have but nobody did
    Use some freaking punctuation. I had to read your post twice just to figure out what you were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Use some freaking punctuation. I had to read your post twice just to figure out what you were saying.
    Good to see you've cleared your head.

Default gimme a break

maybe they were duck hunting. It was on a lake. We had two guys come in every day we were at our camp on a lake to duck hunt. I had no problem with that. Maybe you should have paid them a visit and found out if they were hunting or maybe someone was over due back at camp and they were trying to guide them back. Sound to me like you don't really know what thier situation was and you are jumping to conclusion about why they were shooting. maybe if you had paid them a friendly visit or let them know what and where you planned on doing when you first saw them, they would have been nice guys and had more respect for your desires. Everyone has the same rights on public lands, yours dont trump anyone elses. If we just talk with each other respectfully about what we are doing, we would have less bad experiences like this. You should read the othe GPS post.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Default How did we get to

the campers trying to guide a lost partner back to camp???
    "This went on for about an hour. Just when you'd think they were done, they'd fire off another 20 rounds of rapid fire which echoed around the lake."
    Was the lost guy supposed to figure that only his particular idiot friends would blast a box of shells at once to help him find the camp?
    In an ideal world Sayak could have gone over, tlaked to the guys, found out they didn't know squat about hunting and maybe given them some pointers. Jump all over them and we might lose a couple of potential hunters.
    Without knowing their situation this is all conjecture, it su**ed for sure but we don't know why.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Go back and read my original post OK

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    maybe they were duck hunting. It was on a lake. We had two guys come in every day we were at our camp on a lake to duck hunt. I had no problem with that. Maybe you should have paid them a visit and found out if they were hunting or maybe someone was over due back at camp and they were trying to guide them back. Sound to me like you don't really know what thier situation was and you are jumping to conclusion about why they were shooting. maybe if you had paid them a friendly visit or let them know what and where you planned on doing when you first saw them, they would have been nice guys and had more respect for your desires. Everyone has the same rights on public lands, yours dont trump anyone elses. If we just talk with each other respectfully about what we are doing, we would have less bad experiences like this. You should read the othe GPS post.
    Don't want to? OK, I'll quote myself:
    "Well, end of the season, and lots of people were scrambling, so we knew we had no claim. The lake was fairly big, two parties could hunt it if these guys could just take a hint. A little disappointed, we made our way back to our camp to wait until sundown."

The law says you can't hunt ducks with bullets (you didn't know that?). Even if it was legal, how many ducks would be left on the lake after even one minute of rapid fire? How much duck meat would be left after a spray of bullets? And for an hour... how many times have you hunted waterfowl, OK? Doesn't sound like you know know much about it.

So obviously they weren't hunting.

Signaling? Right! Rapid, constant fire of a 10-.22 and a .223 for an hour is great way to signal a lost hunter. Doesn't sound like you know much about signaling either. And not that there was a lost hunter: we heard the two of them put in at the landing (loudly).

And what's not to know about the signs all over the Swanson River Road: "NO SHOOTING UNLESS HUNTING".

We were there to hunt, not have a counseling session with miscreants. So, give me a break. Better to let idiots be idiots when they have guns in their hands.

this is why I bring my cell phone when I'm in the field and a video recoding device. What they were doing was clearly illegal, better let AST handle it instead of you... I'm not stoked on confronting idiots with guns, maybe thats just me...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I seem to of heard this "you ruined my hunt" shat B4. while my son and I were shooting in a gravel pit. Guy comes up to me says "hey as ole" my wife was listening to gospel on the truck stereo. "your gonna scare all the game off we been hunting for five days. " I told him "so' He said "don't you care " I said "NO" Guy has a brand new dually, 4 place trailer loaded with wheelers and a large motorhome. Get a plane and fly off somewhere if you don't want any distractions on your hunt. Anyway he leaves Simon and I shoot a little more 1/2 hour later wife shoots a caribou right there. Next time the guy comes by I am skinnig my wifes Bou. And all you guys think that noise is gonna scare the Game Get a grip most animals could give a rat about your noise it tells them where you are at thats no reason to run but a good reason to duck out of sight. Be patient my fellow hunters and the lord will provide.

Default Wail hail...

... there Sledhands. Ah gess ahl jist throw mah moose cawl away and start fahrrin' mah pistola into the aahr a bunch a tahms to draw them critters in frum now on. Ah niver rilized that fahring guns wuz such an attracter fur critters. Thahnks fur the addvahce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast