Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who hunts without a GPS or at least flaging tape?

Angry Who hunts without a GPS or at least flaging tape?

To the Moron hunting Sunday night off of Mastadon in Talkeetna area I'm a local resident and hunter myself. How can you be so inconciderate of the local residence and others trying to hunt laying on your truck horn every 2mins for over an hour so your lame cheap wanna be hunter friend can find his way back!

I'm sorry not everyone can afford a GPS, or have the desire to mark every other tree with tape. Mistakes happen. People get lost. If I were genuinely worried about the location of my partner, I would find a way to make it easier on him to find his way back. Sorry, but my partners safety trumps your desire for a peace and quiet.

I hunt without a GPS or flagging tape 90% of the time...but I've never had to resort to someone laying on the horn to guide me home. Still, safety of a hunter, however misguided, has to trump quiet for others in my view.

I also hunt without a gps or flagging, drives me nuts when I see it hanging in trees. If you are so concerned about hearing a truck honking then I think you need to get a little farther off the road!

Talking Not me!

I never use a GPS or tape. I have never been lost in the woods, but I have been **** sure confused for a while

Default Survey tape is great stuff.

Really nice when finding one's way back in the dark. Biodegradable too. In Southeast the deer like to eat it.

Try a map and compass maybe? Old school but it does still work.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Strahan should include a chapter in his book on proper etiquette with portable foghorns
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Kort View Post
    I never use a GPS or tape. I have never been lost in the woods, but I have been **** sure confused for a while
    This is me too.

I carry flagging tape.... I like the extra weight I guess.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I got confused once, the gps was safely under the seat of my truck. A compass would have solved the problem but usually we just use the mountains. Turns out clouds can drop right out of the sky and make those mountains just vanish! After wondering around....I mean exploring.... It got pretty darn dark, dark enough in fact that the lights from the bridge about a mile away came on which finally gave me a landmark to head toward. While "exploring" the area I would have definitely been thrilled to have a friend w/ a truck horn!

My flashlight is my only electric gadget.

I carry a possibles bag in my backpack with a tin cup, a small first aid kit, needls and thread, three candles, and some toilet paper in a sealable baggie, as well as 4 solar blankets, a small plastic tarp and plenty of 550 cord, maby lunch and a honeing stone.

On my person, I carry a compass, spare pocket knife, lighterin my Upper left hand work jacket pocket, everywhere I go.

The rest of what I take depends on the day and the way I go
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Oh, come on, Stranger. We all know you haul around a Chevy Silverado for orientation
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Smile

I was on the haul rd with go set in and a truck pulled out getting dark. I honked the horn many a time in hopes it might steer him in the direction. Frustrating for another hunter YES, Possible could save a hunters life i think is worth the frustration. I see your point about how easy it is to use a gps to mark the spot but if your driving along getting to your hunting location and see your critter take off in the woods you go after it your probally not going to GPS.

Did I mention the time it was Mid winter DARK, -30 , the wind was hitting 40mph, the snow FLYING in chunks off the mouth of Buckland river, and the blinding whiteout made even more confusing by the fact that our Snowgo skegs couldnt steer us as we blew sideways across the now bare ice???

Ol' Jon, the second son pulled out his Xmas "You wont get lost with this" GPS.....
    First it failed to aquire any satalites....Ok, try again....nothing.....and again.... the batteries died.
    The last I saw it, it was hurtaling throught the air to dissapear about ten feet in 2/10ths of a second, out of headlamp view, into the Maw of this storm.... with the Boy yelling at full tilt, exclaimin' his first true heartfelt cuss words.....and I agree'd with 'em.

We blew over to the river bank, dug a couple tunnles, enlarged between them and spent two days sleeping and sharing his "Sea Devil" book about Count Felix von Luckner, and easing our frostbites, eating X-mas candy and two loaves of brandi'd fruit bread he had with 'em.

I gave that boy a compass, and he still has that.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Never leave camp without it,it gives you that warm fuzzy when your staying past dark,i take it most of the guys and gals that don't use them never leave the trail,it will save you valuable time over and over,no mattter what animal your hunting,i can't tell you how many times that i've set a camp up,went hunting and can't quite find camp because i've got it tucked away in a little gully or behind a hill,they all start looking the same,was i lost no,but i'll bet i've saved many hour going back and forth on a mountain looking for my camp....or how about the late kill on the mountain,mark the spot and head back to camp...way nice....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Oh, come on, Stranger. We all know you haul around a Chevy Silverado for orientation
    hello OnStar!

i use a garmin rino. its awesome, i turn it on when i leave camp, slip it in my backpack pocket with tracks on. its shown me the way back many of times. sometimes even faster than the way i went out. i dont get lost per say but it really helps in the fact that i know "exactly" where i am. once it did get 3 of us back off the mountains in kodiak to our pick up spot on time. it always picks up satelites and uses aa batteries, which i keep an extra set in the backpack also. now that i think about it my cell phone has a compass as well as my watch. the function i like best is my partners have them also and you can see where each other are. if one of us had a problem the others can find them pretty easily and quickly.

Never go hunting/exploring without my GPS, makes me feel comfortable using it. I am sure to bring extra batteries too, usually bring 2-4 extras, never needed them though. It is great to have and can save your life, also is great to have so you know where park boundaries are/rivers/etc.

My daypack has tape, compass, map and Garmin Vista HCx. it goes with me if I am walking past LOS of the road or vehicle. Modern GPS's loaded with the most current Topo maps are a great hunting asset and safety aid. The key with GPS, and most other things, is learn how to use it before you need it.

I don't leave camp, truck or fourwheeler without it. As far as I am concerned it is an essential piece of equipment and is always in even my most basic load. I have walked back to camp too many times in the dark, rain, fog, snow after chasing one animal or another to be without it. Like others have said it will save you steps and possibly find you a shorter way home. It is also good for marking downed animals to come back to, gives you sunrise and sunset, projects waypoints, functions as a compass and lots of other stuff. I have the e-trex as well and I think the thing weighs maybe 2 pounds. You get lost once and you will work that much off trying to find your way home.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast