Thread: scout report

Default scout report

Today I was out scouting and did not see a hole lot in the main spots of the wasilia palmer area. Hay flats I had one duck come inn. Maud Lake had a couple of divers out in the middle of the lake and they were just settin around. That is the only two places that I went too, but that is the only two places that I really know to hunt ducks. If anyone has any more to add fell free. If anyone has any suggestions or tips fill me in.

A little about me: Wife and I like to duck hunt together we go out as much as we can, but a 2 year old kinda slows down a little bit. In a few more years I figured I will have one of the best retrivers. HA HA HA. I am the retriver cause the wifey aint going to walk in the cold water. Any way best of luck to everyone and safe hunting.

I went out jumping birds south of Anchorage yesterday and managed a mallard. There were not very many birds out, so it was kind of slow. If I was a better shot I would have come homem with at least one more bird...

Talking How does that work

How does she duck hunt if she doesn't get in the cold water, I didn't know that was possible while duck hunting

Mobandy, that is about it for this part of Cook Inlet. You could go south of town and explore 20 mile and Placer.

The thing about Mud/Gull lakes is that you will almost never see a puddle duck in open water. There are so many little pockets of water in the grass there could be 2,000 ducks in there and you won't see more than 1 or 2 until you get out there and get into the grass.

BTW the names of the lakes out Maud Road / Rippey Trail are: Mud, Gull, Leaf, Swan and Jim.

If you are going to retrieve a bird by walking in Mud Lake how is your pro B-ball career going? The mud is over 6ft deep in most of the lake so I am just wondering how you walk in it. Actually I have never found "bottom" out there in the first section of the lake before the slough entrance. The push pole and the oars have just kept going down down down when ever I try to test it.

I have walked a little in the far southern end before the beaver dam and Gull Lake, but it never felt safe to let go of the boat. Leaf is no problem until the water drops. Same for Swan in the few spots I hunted in. Gull lake is much like Mud with the bottom being deeper than my chest waders are tall.

He wifey is like a puppy in training. You throw a cookie in front of her and she keeps going a little bit further tell you need to throw another cookie. She is a champ she don't whine or whimmper at all. She is tougher then a bunch of guys that I work with in the army.

For walkin out in the lakes I never new the mud to be that deep but then again I ain't ever been out their that much. The water looks low as heck with the grass reaching the top. All I did was walk the edges and all. The grass in the south east corner of mud lake looked to be some what of a promising spot for a guy with no boat from what I'm hearing.

Other then that can someone fill me in on more information on the potter marsh? I thought that was a bird sanchuary were you cain't hunt but if you can and yall don't mind tellin me were do you enter in to their?

Quote Originally Posted by mobandy View Post
    The grass in the south east corner of mud lake looked to be some what of a promising spot for a guy with no boat from what I'm hearing.

Other then that can someone fill me in on more information on the potter marsh? I thought that was a bird sanchuary were you cain't hunt but if you can and yall don't mind tellin me were do you enter in to their?

SE corner...hmmm..thinking...OK I have the image in my mind.

That "land" you see over there is a floating alder bog with varying degrees of semi solid ground under it. You have to hop from one alder hump to the next. Try not to step beween the humps as it could be ankle deep or hip deep. When messing around in other spots out there I use a ski pole as a walking stick. Half the alders are rotten so when you grab one it might let you down. The real issue is that you may still be over 60 yards from water where the birds will be sitting down in.

If you are really into exploring come in from the McRoberts creek trails when you first get to the gravel road. These trails were the original access to the lakes in the 1960's. You will end up on the west side of Mud and I have no idea what it is like back there. The slough for McRoberts creek has hard banks with spruce trees and you might be able to walk in there and hunt. However with the low water you will still be well away from where birds will be sitting down at.

The other issue for accessing the shore of Mud Lake if you start from the road / boat launch area you are tresspassing on native village land. You will have to go a ways down the road to get out of the native land and start walking downhill. Will anyone stop you from doing this? Not that I have ever seen.

If you are serious about accessing places by foot go to the end of the road and explore Jim Lake. You will be rewarded by what you find. You can't walk too far out into the lake but there are a few spots that depending on your in-seam you can retrieve birds from. However the grass at the east end of the lake is not to be messed with unless you like swimming in chest waders while slipping under the grass mat.

Potter marsh is closed to hunting. Read the regulations for unit 14C. You park across the road at one of the two spots you are allowed to park in and walk over the tracks into the coastal refuge. Not much room between the tracks and the mud but it is something to do. Don't go out onto the mud.
    Don not walk along the tracks. The Rail Road Bulls might see you and the fine is huge.

There is another thread on here for accessing other parts of the ANC refuge. If you want to learn about floating alder bogs without leaving town find Oceanview Drive off of Old Seward and then Reef Place to access the ANC refuge. Take the path at the bottom of the hill and enjoy this very typical and unique Alaskan experience. It is only a few hundred yards and if it didn't kill my fat butt it won't hurt an Army guy.