Thread: .223

Default .223

I was curious I have a .223 in bolt action that I love and can drive tacks with at 200 yards. I was recently hit with the black gun bug though and have never really shot a black gun. I was wondering depending on the shooter and the ammo could i expect the same amount of accuracy from an AR from my bolt action. I'm really curious and have just moved to a predator paradise it seems here in Arizona, and am testing the waters. Please let me know your opinons. Down here it seems a lot of the kills are real close and they use shotguns that's why I thought the quick follow ups may come in handy even though I'm not ever planning on using them. I'm a one shot type of guy I love when they roll over and never move again.

I can't attest to AR15, I only have a DPMS LR308 and that is a thumper. Where in AZ are you? I'm going to school in Flagstaff and if you're ever up here and want to go plinking, shoot me a pm
    Surviving one day at a time with a PhD in Physics.

Look at the sniper rifles used by our military for the answer

There are ar's, and then there are ar's. If you're looking at a military style ar with the handguard that mounts to the front sight/gas block and has a chrome lined bore, you are highly unlikely to get accuracy that matches your bolt gun. However, if you get an ar with a free floated match grade barrel, it'll give a bolt gun a run for its money.

I've never found the 223 cartridge to be exceptionally accurate in any configuration but would generally say a bolt is a more accurate platform. But what Paul says is true. Today there are many sub MOA AR rifles. I have so little use for the 223/5.56 round except for small children and small critters it is lots of fun for in close coyote hunting when calling. I can think of many better calibers even in the AR platform. Two noteworth calibers would be the 243 and 260 both available in the AR-10 rifle. These will extend the kill range of the 223 by about 1 mile and will shoot and handle just as quick. They are also less affected by the wind. Also if you're into something exotic and cool the 6.5 Grendel and the new 6.8 SPC are also available in the AR. The Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel is an extremely accurate offering in the overwatch or hunter versions. It also hits much harder than a 223. I like to put the 'yotes down for the count and I just don't see that from the small calibers except in close.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've never found the 223 cartridge to be exceptionally accurate in any configuration but would generally say a bolt is a more accurate platform.
    Not to be argy Murph, but .223 Blasers shoot 5 in about 1/3 MOA, granted of course they are 100-300 yarders with that type of accuracy

my stainless Ruger 77 chambered in 223 would shoot 1/4" groups from sandbags at 100 meters. It was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. I glass bedded/free floated it, and I also polished and brought the trigger down to 3lbs. Sure do miss that rifle! A CZ 223 carbine with the micro length 527 bolt would be my ulitimate choice for a predatory rifle.