Thread: Winter Grizz

Default Winter Grizz

Went rabbit/fox hunting last monday up the Knik and didn't have much luck. Where there are typically scads of rabbit and fox track, there were very few...

We used a foxpro caller and swtiched from distressed mouse to distressed rabbit and saw/shot bupkuss. So switched to stalking mode and folled the few rabbit signs that we saw and I literally froze in my tracks as I went ahead of everyone. The wind had blown the night before and caused the gratiutous winrows and as I stared, dumbfounded, at my feet; I couldn't beleive my eyes.

Bear Tracks.

8.25 inches across on the front paws and bigger than my oversized winter boots for the back. They were on top of the windrows and as we gathered back together and made for the trucks (we had 2 .22's and a .207) we started the hike back and saw that the bear tracks were headed our same direction and a few were on top of our boot tracks that we had just left 20 minutes prior to our return. The temp that night had dropped to -23 F and the temp that morning was about -13 F.

Does anyone have a logical explanation as to why there was a freakin grizz out this late?

Talking you don't suppose...

he was looking for the screaming rabbit that woke him up??
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

go get him!!!

Red face Who knows?

I continue to be amazed at how late I see them, but it is always around a last season food source. Last year I saw a sow with two grown cubs crossing the highway at Quartz creek in November. But there are late season silvers in there. And previously I saw fresh brown bear tracks while ice fishing in November on a lake with a late silver run. But why there would be a bear on the glacial flats is hard to imagine. Do bears get insominia? Maybe he had a bad dream and needed to walk it off. If you had seen him he may have been pretty cranky.

yea let me know where he is at because i still have my griz tag. my bow is all sighted in and i would like to bag my first bow kill. but you should bring back a rifle and bag him. probably a great coat on him now.

LOL, I think HomerDave had it right - Turn down the volume a little! :-)
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Remember about 10 years ago, or so, when that guy from the oil exploration crew on the Kenia Penn. got killed from an awaken Bear?

The circumstances where; it was late winter-Spring, around Feb. A crew was doing some sizmic work in the Swanson river oil field. They would drill a small dimater hole, 3-4 inches, maybe 30 feet deep, and then set off a small shot of explosive that were "read" on the surafce to see if there was any oil down there. A bunch of geologist, scientist, and sizmic workers.
    Anyway, they drilled a hole, set off the shot, and then a Brown/Grizzly Bear came out of the ground and got ahold of guy standing nearby. Tha Bear worked theat guy over pretty good. When I go there, the next day, it was a grusome sight with blood everywhere on the snow, a chewed-up boots, patches of hair & scalp. I can only imagine the tramua.
    With the F&G biologists, super troppers, and other people, we looked high & low for that bear for the better part of week, never did find it. We were suppose to find that Bear and dispatch it.

Long story short, after some delay the job contiued after they hired about 50 guides to walk around with sizmic crews. It was like the old TV show MASH. We lived in tents, and every morning we'd go to the L Z (laning zone) to meet the choopers to give us a ride to the job site for the day. All the guides would walk along with the workers, we carried shotguns to protect them from bears......in some ways it was almost comical, like the old-time sherrif carrying a shotgun while he monitered the chain-gang.

I've seen Bears every month of the year. Granted, not many during traditional "winter time", but they can be out. I couldn't guess what promted that Bear up the Knik to be out walking around.....but I bet he did have a nice hide

Remember, Bears are not true hibernaters. They will come in and out of there dens all winter if the weather permits it or if there fat reserves are low.
    Tennessee

Almost every time there is a late bear out in the middle of the winter it will be an old boar that didn't have enough fat on him to make it through the winter so they don't hibernate. We haven't had much snow up here in the Interior and often times they will dig a hole into the north side of a hill where the snow will drift over them for insulation. They may just not have their blankie tucked in around them yet.

Default Late Bear

You can run into a bear during any month of the year. They have attacked someone during every month we have. Some times they stay out late and some times they get up from their nap and take a stroll. Don't ya just love it!

Default Thank You

Thanks to all for your input, but thanks especially to Alaska Outdoor Directory for hosting a forum where we all can share information and discussion.

Years back there was or still is a brown bear that was collared by the alaska fish and game that was wintering on the little point at youngs bay. West of Juneau on Admiralty Island about ten miles away. Never hibernated.
    goldbelt