Thread: Good hunt with uncles

Default Good hunt with uncles

Had a real enjoyable hunt with my two non-resident uncles for caribou. We have had this planned for a couple years running but I drew Tok sheep last year so had to back out on them until this year. Landed on the ridge top in great sunny weather, while waiting for the uncles to arrive searched for water and a place for the tent. 40 minutes after landing two bulls one little, one a dandy cruise by me at 80 yards. This was encouraging as we had only seen a group of four on a ridge on the flight in. Uncles arrive and camp is set up by early afternoon. Don't see any more caribou.
    Next morning weather still great get up early and get coffee brewing, with first cup in hand I step around ridge to glass backside. 5 minutes later a shot rings out from camp and as caribou hunting can go it got exciting. I run around ridge to find one uncle drawing down on a bull for a second shot. Sure he is not alone my other uncle and I trot down the ridge to get a better look. There are 4 more bullls after a very quick scan as they are leaving I tell him to shoot #3 which he does. I contemplate the third good bull of the group but opt out as we have 2 animals down and six more days to hunt.
    1st bull

2nd bull

Most of the rest of the day spent caping and butchering, it was really hot so I opted to leave the meat on the bone for now. The long pack of 250 yards would be easy either way.
    Don't see anymore caribou.
    Next morning prepping to climb the ridge in the morning and my uncle spots a bear about 1500' below us in a brushy berry patch. I watch him for 10 mins. trying to decide if its worth an attempt as it was really thick stuff down there. This was a beautiful dark cinnamon colored bear with gold tipped hair. Finally put the scope on him and realize it's a black bear, not a grizzly. I would say this was one of the biggest black bears I have ever seen and the color was to die for. So down I went but sadly I never saw him. The uncles figured I was within 30 yards before he left, and I had tried a few calf moose calls to get him to stand. The short story is he is still out there getting fatter. Don't see anymore caribou today.
    The next day we see two caribou on the move at least three miles away.
    I was starting feel foolish for not taking the 3rd of the five bulls, I was just looking for the meat as I have taken several bigger caribou. Finally a group of thirty animals on the ridge, looks like all cows, but run up to take a look. One good meat bull out of thirty so I am not passing him. My little .308 tags another chunk of meat and a really nice cape to boot.
    3rd bull

Air service comes in and picked up some meat while we packed in my bull about a mile all down hill. About 8:30 that night my uncle sees something running away from one of the carcasses above camp, a quick look identifies a wolverine leaving with a big chunk of fat. Make a run up and around to be above and set up for her return. 30 mins after getting set she returns from 180 degs from where she left so to return down wind of the kill. She was loping along and then wheeled and looked straight up the hill at us. She froze there a little to long at 100 yards. 147 gr. FMJ did the trick pretty minimal damage and not a twitch from her.
    My first hunted wolverine.

This picture quality wasn't the best because it was pretty dark and the camera didn't use a flash oh well
    It turns out the group of thirty I took my bull out of was the front of the hordes as we looked at 400 plus caribou per day for the next two days. But we were tagged out and my uncles got very nice bulls to mount. The bulls were very fat and we got a bunch of excellent meat out of them as two of them aged for a week before it was processed. I did try the citric acid spray bottle that seemed to do a good job as this was as hot a hunt as I have been on. We never donned our rain gear in a week.

Default Back at civilization with racks

A few bulls on top after we were tagged out.

One more shot of the uncles bulls

Default Awesome

Can't beat hunting with family. Nice bulls.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Nice lookin animals, good for you guys. Family hunts are the best I think.

Will

Default Wow

Nice job on taking the uncles. Family hunts have to be the best. Really nice caribou also and must have been exciting on the first caribou shot from camp. That is the neat thing about camping/hunting, never know when something is going to happen. Thanks for sharing, Mark

Some dandy bulls...congrats to y'all!
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default Congrats!

Thanks for sharing. Very nice bulls and a very nice wolverine! Love the patches on the throat and the white toes!

Thumbs up

Nice looking caribou and one great looking wolverine you all got there!

Number one uncle has one of the biggest bou i have ever seen on here, I like the way you pinned down that wolverine...hehehe

Very nice bulls indeed. congrads on a succesful family hunt. What unit were you guys in?

Default Nice Bulls

Nice lookin' bulls and that is one really silky black looking wolverine. Congradulations
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Those of some of the nicest caribou I've seen. Nice work. Who was the air taxi you were flying with? Looks like it could be the same guy we flew with this summer for bou as well.

Thumbs up Thumbs Up

Nice Job! To bad you didn't catch up with the bear,but you made up for it with the wolverine.Congrat's on a great hunt with your uncles.

Great pics and wonderful memories. Glad you had a great time with your uncles. I hope you have many more to come.

I will add to this, what a great hunt with family & a really cool wolverine. Are you going to do anything special with the wolverine?

Default Suweeeeett

Very nice. Great photos, great story. I'll take your "meat" bull racks any day. Looks like a monster to me. Very cool about the wolverine. I've only ever seen one while hunting.
    thanks for sharing,
    ARR

How do you always come up with the white paws?

Default Take em without prejudice

Tony
    I just take em when I can get em. I didn't look at her toes before I pulled the trigger. I am not sure what I will do with her. After you have trapped them winter prime their fur quality is a little disappointing in September. I may still rug her depending on how she looks upon return from the tannery.

Wink

very nice Bob,i hope the uncles realize that they were pretty lucky in taking such great animals on there first bou hunt..take care,get those knees ready for next season..
    I ♥ Big Sheep