Thread: Buffalo Mine Road/Jonesville Trail

Default Buffalo Mine Road/Jonesville Trail

Does anyone know who one has to talk to in order to get permission to access the trail that connects these two areas together? The area is gated off or at least is was last fall. There is a private property sign there but a few folks that may own a small parcel of land block access to areas to try to make them exclusivly their entire playground. Alaska Atlas and Gasetteer doesn't show much of a trail system, but I was told by a few long time residents that there is some nice riding in that area.

You need to cross Moose Creek further downstream. There is an access road right at the end of the pavement.

We did that ride recently and there was a trail connecting the Buffalo Mine area to the Jonesville area that started right at the southwest end of the Jonesville parking lot. No gate. It was more like a road than a trail, too.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Two years ago when I was there, when accessing from the Jonesville side, the road went up the hill but when you came to the end of the nice road, it dropped down to a narrow trail with a gate acrossed it and a no trespassing sign/Private Property. When at the end of Buffalo Mine road, again, there was a gate with signs saying the same thing. So you guys are saying you can now access the road further down and not putting yourself in a possible bind.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Two years ago when I was there, when accessing from the Jonesville side, the road went up the hill but when you came to the end of the nice road, it dropped down to a narrow trail with a gate acrossed it and a no trespassing sign/Private Property. When at the end of Buffalo Mine road, again, there was a gate with signs saying the same thing. So you guys are saying you can now access the road further down and not putting yourself in a possible bind.
    Maybe they've bypassed it. We went down the road, down the hill, and then you hang a right on a trail that goes up a hill and you're on the Buffalo Mine trail system. We rode for hours back there. I've got a GPS track of it, I think. I might be able to send you an email that would give you a visual.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thanks for the info. I will definately check it out when I get off slope. I hope it goes up high into the mountains.

Default Private property

You were on private property if you came to a gate, most likely you drove down 1/2 mile of a guys driveway. At the end of the pavement, take a hard right down a steep grade and go 1/4 mile to a missing bridge. It was removed a few years ago and will be replaced when funds are available. There is a motorized vehicle salmon stream crossing permit in place for the stream (Moose Creek) just to the right of the bridge, not hard to miss, any further downstream and you are into big trouble. If you thread the intersecting trails correctly, it is possible to come out at Slipper Lake, at the base of the mines, you are now basically just outside of Sutton. From there you can ride to the mines or take the Eska Falls Trail, but that involves another set of directions.

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    You were on private property if you came to a gate, most likely you drove down 1/2 mile of a guys driveway. At the end of the pavement, take a hard right down a steep grade and go 1/4 mile to a missing bridge. It was removed a few years ago and will be replaced when funds are available. There is a motorized vehicle salmon stream crossing permit in place for the stream (Moose Creek) just to the right of the bridge, not hard to miss, any further downstream and you are into big trouble. If you thread the intersecting trails correctly, it is possible to come out at Slipper Lake, at the base of the mines, you are now basically just outside of Sutton. From there you can ride to the mines or take the Eska Falls Trail, but that involves another set of directions.
    We made it to Slipper Lake and the mine areas. But we did not access it the way everyone here is describing. No gates. No signs. No houses or cabins. Wide open trails everywhere, accessed from the Southwest side of the Jonesville parking area, on the trail that goes past the gravel hole that people use for shooting.

if you have come to my gate on buffalo mine then you went way to far. the dierections that are being provided for you are good ones. that is your connector, and if you want to get high in the mountains then the eska falls traill is for you, its a beautifull trip.

Thanks Rockhound and AKfj40. The last thing I want to do is invade someones/your personal property. I would love to check that area out and do some riding before serious snow fall. If one of you have a hand drawn map of access to the Falls area, I would love to get it from you personally or in a PM.

Thanks

Default Eska Falls

Go to alaskaatvclub.org , sign in/register.
    There you will find all the info you are looking for.

Thanks Rockhound