Thread: Ladies Handgun Training Opportunities?

Default Ladies Handgun Training Opportunities?

My fiance and some of her girlfriends spent a night within the past week at Byers Lake campground. As is so often the case, more worrisome than the 4-legged critters was a two-legged at 2 am outside their tent.

Her and I have been discussing, as have her girlfriends, and the conclusion has been come to that she wants to learn to shoot a pistol safely and effectively, and carry it, especially when she's alone or with girlfriends.

Having done most of my own training through "hit and miss" I don't really feel comfortable teaching her the finer points of shooting a handgun.

My question: What are the opportunities for a single lady to take a handgun safety/shooting/proficiency class in the ANC/ER/Valley area?

I am extremely excited about her desire to learn, and want to make sure she learns the right way, and with me as her primary trainer, that could lead to, well, less than desired outcomes. Or maybe there is a lady member or wife/girlfriend of a member that is proficient and is willing and able to help me bring a newbie into our lifestyle?

Finally, another reason I am snooping around is I am hoping she can shoot more different styles and calibers other than what I have to offer: 44 Mag (Super Redhawk), 45 ACP (Kimber 1911 and S&W something), 357 Mag (S&W D/A).

Thanks for any and all help! Please PM with any info.

Forum Admin: If there is a more appropriate place for this, or better coverage, please feel free to move!

Beau

Default MatSu Valley Shooting Range

Inc ase you missed this one! (under the MVS Range News Indoor Range thread)
    Upcoming Classes
    A Concealed Handgun Permit Class will be held on Sat. October 24th. This class is from 7:00 AM until 7:00 PM. The class is located at the MVS range complex. Call 746-4862 for details or to sign up.

There will be a Defensive Handgun Skills Improvement Class on Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 7:00 AM. Call 746-4862 for details or to sign up.

There will be an NRA Basic Pistol class on Saturday, November 28, 2009 from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Call 746-4862 for details or to sign up.

A Concealed Handgun Permit Class will be held on Jan 21, 22, and 23, 2010.
    Classes on Jan. 21st and 22nd are from 6:30 to 9:30 PM at Palmer Fire Training Center on 645 E. Cope Industrial Way. On Jan 23rd, the class is from 9:00 until 3:00 and is located at the MVS range complex. Call 746-4862 for details or to sign up.

There will be an NRA Basic Pistol class on Saturday, January 30, 2009 from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Call 746-4862 for details or to sign up.

Note: on all classes only those students who pay in advance are guaranteed admittance. You may sign up without paying, but you will be on stand-by status and can attend only if room is left over after pre-paid class members are admitted.

Scheduling Meeting
    The scheduling meeting on Monday, September 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM was attended by Scheduling Officer, Allen Chapman, two user group representatives, MVS President, Steve Montgomery, MVS Range Manager, Brian Pinney, and club members Jon Cheney and Ed Stalker.

Events must be scheduled through Allen Chapman 357-2840 or by e-mail at
    AKShootist@gci.net

It is important for anyone wishing to schedule range time to attend these meetings.

The next Scheduling Meeting is set for March 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM.

MVS thanks Allen Chapman for his invaluable work in conducting and coordinating the scheduling of events for the range.

Ladies Night
    Ladies Only Nights will resume on Tuesday, September 15, 2009. Call Brenda Montgomery 746-3090 for details.
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Several women I know have very good things to say about Alaska Tactical and their Ladies Only Class (as well as their other classes).

http://alaskatactical.com/Womens-Flyer-2009.htm

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    Several women I know have very good things to say about Alaska Tactical and their Ladies Only Class (as well as their other classes).

http://alaskatactical.com/Womens-Flyer-2009.htm
    I have to second this one. My wife (zero previous shooting experience, negative opinion of firearms due to growing up in a fairly anti-gun state) attended Steve's class and really enjoyed herself. She learned a ton, gained a lot of self confidence, now has a positive attitude about shooting and is now a solid 2nd Amendment supporter, and most importantly, seems to have a very solid grounding in firearms safety rules.

It may seem a little pricey but really is worth the money. Steve worked with her to get her CCL tacked on cheaply as well a few weeks later.

Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread but I wanted to throw Steve a bone if possible! We are looking forward to taking one of his handgun classes next year.

Funny reading the o/p I noticed that both the pistols (or variances of them) that my wife cut her teeth on are listed as ones currently in his possession. My wifes carry pistol is a Kimber ultra-carry II 1911 in 45acp. She loves that little pistol, she was smitten w/ it through the glass at the store and I wasn't about to snuff that excitement. It is just money after all. She also recently took a liking to a pink lightweight J frame 38 revolver, something to think about when the jolly fat man makes his annual trip to my house...
    The best part of her new hobby is all I have to do to get her to go and shoot w/ me is track down a box of shells for it. It also helps that I clean it for her 98% of the time, somehow I end up "teaching" her again every time we get back from the range.... I will say it is awesome to have someone that is always willing to go w/ me and she even enjoys looking through the Binos or a scope at a target and calling impact points while I sight in rifles!!