Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nike Base in Palmer Area

Default Nike Base in Palmer Area

I keep hearing about this abandoned Nike base around Palmer where folks go to target shoot...Anyone have any information about it, including directions from Anchorage?

TIA..

Rucksack

The only one I know of in the Valley is at the end of Knik-Goose Bay road by the Goose Bay airport. It's a fricken mess and I wouldn't shoot there if you paid me. If I could get the borough to donate dump fees, and somebody donated a dump truck, I'd bring my excavator and Bobcat down to clean up a bunch of it. It's really too bad we have shooting slobs that make these messes.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'd even donate a truck and time to help out Doug...Set it up!

ya its really bad down there. in fact a young girl was picking berrys last month and got shot by a stray round..
    Semper Fi!

The story was never really set straight on that one. Lots of holes in the story, not to mention not a lot of berries where it allegedly happened.

Any further reports other then the one ADN story?

AKMike1- Are you Brooks?

In that case perhaps ill avoid it..Anyone know of any other abandoned cold war bases or area of interest to explore?

Bingo! You win the kewpie doll!

Anyone know of any other abandoned cold war bases or area of interest to explore?
    On the road system? The only two I know of are the one at the end of KGB Rd. (don't know if it was even a Nike sight, there's just a bunker) and Kincaid Park in Anchorge.

Mike, I am going to contact the Borough. Knowing how the Borough works I doubt anything will happen before snowfall. I also believe a big chunk of the mess is in the Goose Bay Game Refuge and I may need additional permission. I will work on it this winter and see what we can do. Try and draw in the Friends of the NRA and local sportsman's groups too.

Sounds great Doug! I can probably come up with 2 side dumps or 30' semi end dumps if the work schedule permits.
    Just let me know what you've found out. Either by PM's here or SW if you're still there. Or I'll PM you my phone numbers

If anyone else wants to help clean up this mess there. Add your name to the list here.
    "Let's getter dun!"

What a great idea. I use the area. I'd sure like to help. I can just offer a pickup and labor. 3 of my kids are big enough to help (12-17yo)

I was there Friday and it looked like someone hauled off a few CARcasses, but someone had left a new burned out CARcass near the first curve going in.

It's a shame what happens out there.

Default I'll help

I don't have any equip to offer, but I am a CDL holder, and can run a loader. Also have a strong back

Anyone know of any other abandoned cold war bases or area of interest to explore?
    Anchorage was originally ringed with all sorts of military installations.

http://home.att.net/~nikealaska/INDEX.html

Kincade Park, (61.9.465 N 150. 3.354 W) down the road from Kulis ANGB was a Nike launch site. The Nike's were stored horizontally I believe and then rolled out before being raised.

Fire Island right off the coast from the Airport was a radar base. During the cold war years there were barracks and a small airstrip out there. Enough guys were stationed there that they had their own ski hill with a tow line. http://www.alsap.org/FireIsland/FireIsland.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Is...age,_Alaska%29

The GOOSE BAY Launch site (61.24.384N 149.53.082W) is what is left of a larger complex that at one time included the Goose Bay airport strip.
    There was also a series of nearby buildings that were barracks and admin facilities. Those were later turned into the ill-fated Goose Bay prison site. Several underground tunnels were discovered while renovating the area.
    The buildings were later abandoned by the Dept of Corrections and several fires destroyed most of what was left. There are people working and living within 2,000 yards and the area is fairly flat. Only a billy-bob would think it is a good spot to shoot. As it is now...

Site Summit (61.14.896N 149. 32.871W) Is above Anchorage near Alpen Glow ski hill. It was also a Nike Launch site. There were radar facilities up the hill as well.
    http://home.att.net/~nikealaska/summit/siteSUMMIT.html

Seward, Whittier, Kodiak and more than a few other places around the State have some interesting old Cold War and WWII bunkers and gun emplacements.

http://www.radomes.org/museum/alaska.html
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

People live and work within 2000 yards of Birchwood range, Rabbit creek range, and Matanuska sportsman's club.

You must mean Billy-Bob shooting indiscriminately from the abandoned sites. I don't think that is safe to do anywhere.

You must mean Billy-Bob shooting indiscriminately from the abandoned sites. I don't think that is safe to do anywhere.
    That's a big ten-four ,,,Rubber Duck....

The Goose Bay site ends up being the meeting place for many of the dopers in that area. There have always been problems with vandalism there and at the nearby airstrip.
    It would be a nice place if it could be cleaned up. But then you would have to limit access somehow.

I am not naive. I know that the place will be trashed again. The first step, though, is to clean it up...then clean it up again. Maybe we can get it down to a level that it's managable. There is a huge amount of positive publicity available for hunting groups, the NRA, local businesses, and the members of this forum if we apply ourselves to this good cause. I'm going to work on the legwork through the winter of getting permission from the borough and state. Once I get going I will make a post in the General section and manage things from there.

What I would love to see is someplace to have 600 or 1,000 yard matches that does not involve a military base. Like a long dead end canyon.
    The old Goose bay perimeter around the bunkers looks like it might be 400 plus yards across. So you could do something fairly interesting around there.

what's wrong shooting at ft rich or Greeley, 600 and 1000 yds on pulled targets? Just wonderring

I spent 30 years in 3 different branches of the Military, both active and reserve. Most of that time instructing or supervising other firearms instructors. My 20 years of over lapping law-dawging included many years of instructing the same thing...
    And I still have a current range card to use those ranges.
    I spent many a weekend starting and stopping due to the range going cold for unknown reasons, having to cease fire every two minutes due to passing aircraft, or waiting all morning for the range shack guys to show up. The guys at Kulis ANGB started driving a bus out to Izzak Walton range since they could still save time on qualifications without all the cease fires and range inspector visits.
    I guess it would be hard to explain, ,,,

I would still like to see a club or private range someplace with some nice long ranges that member shooters could access any day of the week and at odd times.
    As it is now, if I want to go out past a couple hundred yards and do lots of target work, I have to fly my Cub out in the middle of no-where.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast