Thread: E-Collar Training

Default E-Collar Training

I'm wanting to start training my lab with an e-collar this winter, and was wondering if anybody could recommend a good book about training retrievers with an e-collar. If it helps I have a sport dog wetland hunter e-collar.

All training programs have e-collars as part of their over all training system. The e-collar comes in after you have already trained your dog in OB. It is the last tool to re enforce everything the dog has already learned. If your dog has not learned much OB the collar won't help.

Lardy system is good as is Smartworks. Both have written and DVD manuals.

Join the club up there and get some help. As Wetlands points out in the other post timing of the correction is critical.

Default One option

Tritronics has a pretty good book written by Jim & Phyliss Dobbs. There also have videos that go with it, at least for the fetch portion. You can buy it at Sportsmans Warehouse or online.

most, but not all training programs use e-collars...

Butch Goodwin has a very nice book - Retrievers from the Inside Out..that is not collar based...

It is possible to train without a collar (I have trained w/out one, but use one now)..They are easily mis-used - seen it happen..By myself and others........also the type (temperment, not breed) of dog will have bearing on whether such 'mistakes' will be forgiven...If you go into your training knowing this and being aware of it, then you will probably do all right...people that think e-collars are the 'quick fix' to dog training usually end up with dogs that hate training....IF you can't train a dog without a collar, then you have no business training a dog with a collar.

I really like Fowl Dawgs DVD's as well as Danny Farmer/Judy Aycock DVD's (basics/transition)...

If at all possible, get some hands on training from someone with experience in ccing and use...If you have never trained with one, then you really do need to see it done 'in person'...and get feedback from whoever is helping you....

Also, don't be surprised if you trade out your sport dog for a little better quality collar some time down the road...Tri-tronics is my choice..Their 'sport' models are great for amateur trainers that want to train their hunting dog - affordable and reliable...

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

As others have posted, the e-collar is a tool to be used after your foundation training "in the yard." It is used to further teach, or enforce, those commands you taught the dog. You begin with the lowest level that gets the dogs attention. I start with the "Kennel" command. You don't want to set the collar too high as this will set your training back. I'm a fan of George Hickox' methods. His DVDs, as well as some other fine DVDs on the market are easily obtainable.

All e-collars are not alike, and some can give varied responses (intensities) which are very bad for the dog and for your training efforts. I've been using Tri-tronics collars (Upland Special's) for many years, as have a great many pro trainers. Tri-tronics provides a DVD with their collars. Dogtra also makes good collars.

You might want to contact a pro trainer and have him/her do this important training, or contact someone in the retriever club for help.

The e-collar is a great tool, but only if used properly. Best of luck to you and your K-9 pal!

Jim