Thread: Digital Printouts / Enlargements (Costco!)

Default Digital Printouts / Enlargements (Costco!)

Not sure how many folk use them for printing - so I was curious to see what you think about them? I recently found out that they do enlargements. I don't have the best of cameras - just an older Nikon D80 (10.2MP) with a nice lens paired with it...but I wanted to see how the images looked at various sizes. I decided to print this picture

at the following size (with price)

11x14 (2.99)
    16x20 (5.99)
    20x30 (8.99)

I have to say that while the 20x30 is a stretch too much for the amount of MP my camera has.. but I am blown away by the quality of their prints...especially for that price. The only place on the large one that looked a little 'pixellated' was near areas of HIGH contrast (such as the whiskers on his face) - but you had to be within 6 inches to see it. What sort of experience do you have.....pros/cons - where else is a good place to print good size prints and how much do they generally run?

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Well doing it yourself is far cheaper than those prices ! I personaly print many tens of thousands of sheets of paper every year.

I go though boxes of hundreds (sheets) in no time.

Red River Paper is 40% cheaper than the major brands of premium paper on the market. it is as good or better than the major brands available on the market today.

11 x 14 Less than a buck a sheet

for instance 16 x 20 (or 17 x 25) will generally run me about a buck per sheet and less than that for the ink I am using. But then again it all depends on which printer you are using & which profile specific setting you apply.

There are all sorts of 'trick's for printing your own images. But take it from someone who has tried everything on the market - Purchase an Epson printer. you will never be dissapointed !!

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/11x14_inkjet_papers/

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post
    Well doing it yourself is far cheaper than those prices ! I personaly print many tens of thousands of sheets of paper every year.

I go though boxes of hundreds (sheets) in no time.

Red River Paper is 40% cheaper than the major brands of premium paper on the market. it is as good or better than the major brands available on the market today.

11 x 14 Less than a buck a sheet

for instance 16 x 20 (or 17 x 25) will generally run me about a buck per sheet and less than that for the ink I am using. But then again it all depends on which printer you are using & which profile specific setting you apply.

There are all sorts of 'trick's for printing your own images. But take it from someone who has tried everything on the market - Purchase an Epson printer. you will never be dissapointed !!

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/11x14_inkjet_papers/
    I am not interested in purchasing a multi hundred (or thousand) dollar printer. I am not in photography to make money (as it is a hobby)...just want to enlarge some of my pictures. Costco flat pricing to me is cheaper than buying paper...printer...ink. Lazy.. no. Convenient.. yes (granted this is something you unfortunately can't do in Barrow).

You can purchase an epson printer for under 100 bucks !!
    I can't get prints processed Printed @ costco (because I live in Barrow) ?

Nothing can be further from the truth !!

We purchase food from Sam's club & costco for years !!

I guess I have a lot to learn - thanks for your input !!

Well let me add. your image is stunning indeed !! I can't help but think how you can easily purchase equipment for free - !!

Wildlife is the #1 selling item in this state !! (image wise).

Yes Photography is only a hobby for you. I am well aware of that aspect. That is how I began, but necessity prompted me to use my hobby as a way and means to generate a steady income (when out of work as an electrician).

Sorry if I upset you. I guess it is too early in the morning !!

Sam's Club is another good place for low cost prints. They use an Epson ink jet type printer for their large prints, and the quality is good. For 4x6, to 8x12 they use a Fuji Frontier; one of the best and consistent one hour labs made. It's hard for incompetent operators to mess up a Frontier. It's set up for typical snapshots, so the colors are very saturated and contrast is high. That works well for a lot of outdoor pictures, so I can't complain much. It's a bit much for good people pictures though. Prices are about the same as Costco, but since they process far fewer you can get usually some custom treatment from them.

I use Sam's to print large batches of 4x6" prints because they do them far cheaper than I can with my Epson printer. I also use them for large prints because my home printer only goes to 13x19".

Both Sam's an Costco will print from files you upload to them from the internet, and they will ship the results, so use from Barrow might not be too bad.

I've been very happy with the results from Costco.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I've had good results with Costco once I realized I needed to un-check their auto-mangle...errr...auto-correct feature.