Thread: Caching a raft? How to deter bears?

Default Caching a raft? How to deter bears?

A friend and I are going up the Haul Rd and would like to cross a river with rafts then cache them. Our concern is bears......as I have had several problems with bear messing with equipment while I was working this summer up north. Our idea is to deflate the raft and put several containers (cups) with bleach around to deter them........ I've seen this tactic used around cabins.......so good idea or bad......any suggestions?

Moth Balls been using them for 40 years, as bear repellent.

Default deterent

I usually hang raft in a tree, if no trees a electric fence may be a good investment. We have one for Kodiak hunting works for camp and our food but we still use a tree for deer meat. We also divide up our food some at camp some up in a tree away from camp. Small pulley make it easier to get heavy loads up in tree.

Electric fence works great. They will run for a month on just two D-batteries.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up Caching a raft

The electric fence is a great way to go, if you don't have trees available. Yellowjacket is a popular brand, as is Electro Bear Guard.

I would avoid mothballs. Though they make a great after-dinner mint for bears, they're a huge mess to clean up and can be a problem for other animals.

Don't spray your boat with pepper spray! Should go without saying, but some think it is "bear repellent", and falsely conclude that spraying it on boats, tents, etc. will keep them away. There are cases where they were actually attracted to it.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Check out the 4 lb UDAP fence. I use one on float trips and they are pretty slick. www.udap.com is the site if I recall correctly.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I hung a raft and other gear in a tree for a week once. Had no problems other than trying to figure out how to get the 100lb raft up the tree.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The electric fence is a great way to go, if you don't have trees available. Yellowjacket is a popular brand, as is Electro Bear Guard.

I would avoid mothballs. Though they make a great after-dinner mint for bears, they're a huge mess to clean up and can be a problem for other animals.

Don't spray your boat with pepper spray! Should go without saying, but some think it is "bear repellent", and falsely conclude that spraying it on boats, tents, etc. will keep them away. There are cases where they were actually attracted to it.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    I like the fence idea but how about cheyane peper I have found it to be a fair training tool to deter animals
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

Hope it helps!

-Mike

Mike i will absolutely have to disagree with you...

Moth balls have proven a great deterrent to both black and brown bears.
    we are hit on a regular basis. and this year the only stuff left alone was the areas we filled with moth balls. BUT you MUST use the correct ones...

they are the old fashioned.. in the blue box... i really forget the name but Walmart sells TWO types in the ironing dept... the blue box with the cellophane wrapper not the can with the pop top...

also i have found PIN SOL. works well as a temporary deterrent as well. though it dilutes quickly...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here