Thread: Red Dot 44 mag load?

Default Red Dot 44 mag load?

I just aquired a whole bunch of .429 200gr soft points. I also have more Red Dot than smarts. I can't find a load in any of my manuals for using Red Dot with jacketed bullets in the 44mag.

I know for a fact that I used to shoot a lot of Red Dot in my 45lc's with jacketed bullets. My notes in my manual also tell me that it worked very well in the 45. If it'll work in a 45 it ought to work in a 44.

I'm not looking for a hot hunting load .......44 special duplication would suffice!

Any suggestions as to where to start!

My Speer #14 manual has

44 Mag 200 grain jacketed GDHP SB From a 4" barrel
    Red Dot 8.2 gr @1033 fps to 9.2 gr @1096 fps

Exclamation

Just a word of caution, especially for any inexperienced reloaders who might see this: Red Dot is economical in the big cases; just be extra-alert for double charges.

That 44 mag will swallow a bunch of powder, and 9gr of Red Dot will seem like a dash of pepper in the bottom of the case. A double charge won't come close to filling the case and is enough to easily destroy the gun.

There's great rewards (economy) to using fast powders in big cases, but with the rewards comes the need for extra care in the assembly process.

Default Not efficient

Red Dot is not efficient with jacketed loads. You'll note that even max loads give you mediocre velocities from printed info. Your remark: "If it'll work in a 45 it ought to work in a 44." just isn't necessarily so. It's comparing apples and oranges. .44 Special loads with lead bullets would better apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Just a word of caution, especially for any inexperienced reloaders who might see this: Red Dot is economical in the big cases; just be extra-alert for double charges.

That 44 mag will swallow a bunch of powder, and 9gr of Red Dot will seem like a dash of pepper in the bottom of the case. A double charge won't come close to filling the case and is enough to easily destroy the gun.

There's great rewards (economy) to using fast powders in big cases, but with the rewards comes the need for extra care in the assembly process.
    Very true Diesel Nut! I have been using economy loading for target loads for years. Mostly Bullseye and Unique. I once saw a brand new model 19 loose the top strap and top half of the cylinder. The owner loaded the rounds when he should have been sleeping. One needs to be on top of his game and in the right mental state when doing any loading. That goes double when loading rounds where the possiblility of a double charge exists. I charge a whole loading block full of cases and then visually inspect them. If one were to be a double charge it would be visually evident compared to the others.

Like I said I am not after a performance load. Just using up components that otherwise wouldn't get used.

Its about the time of the year in these parts to gather some frog legs. You don't actually shoot the frog but rather the water in close proximity to the frog. The concussion will cause him to belly up without the chance of blowing up one of those tastey legs. A 200 grainer at 1000 fps will be perfect.

Thanks for the info! EKC