Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 father/daughter moose hunt

Default 2009 father/daughter moose hunt

Just got back from my best hunt to date. REAL tired. Here's some pics and a few words till tomorrow. Kayla waited till he stepped to shore and then put two in the lungs and one in the neck from her .243. Luck would have it though, he turned and took two steps and dropped back into the lake!

Was pretty emotional for both of us and I couldn't be more proud of her..

She got right in there like a pro!

My hunting pard's daughter, Kaya's best friend, also got her bull.

She also knows ALL about preditor control..

Good times...

Any guesses on the width??

Thats quite the hunt! Awsome job guys and GIRLS!!

AWESOME! Congratulations to your daughter on a job very well done.

Thumbs up dad too

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    AWESOME! Congratulations to your daughter on a job very well done.
    Yes, and to her Dad for making the trip happen!

P.S. 59" ?

Nice Job, She'll really appreciate dry land field dressing after that.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Tell her yourself if you see her in the hall's Brian. You'll be happy to know that she did her homework everyday on the 10 day hunt and after gettting in at midnight last night and a day early, I gave her the option of staying home but she chose to go to school. I think she actually didn't want to stay home and cut meat all day,lol.

You guys can thank me for the pictures. Steve was too cheap to buy a digital camera till I harassed him into it on another forum.
    I'm jealous Steve! Good job to all.
    Oh, can she cook the meat too?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Tell her yourself if you see her in the hall's Brian.
    I forgot that you had one at my school as well, Steve. I'll have to keep an eye out for her to congratulate her.

Congratulations, Well done...............

Default Congratulations

Great bull for a young lady, what a way to keep the love of the outdoors going for the next generation!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Great pics, Steve, congrats to you both. Love to see the kids getting out hunting, especially the girls.

Congrats!! The girls are kicking butt this year! What's up with that boys?

Default I know how you feel

AK girls rock! Great job! props to everone that take their kids hunting

Thanks guys. We actually kept the meat very clean and it hung for 8 days. Got done cutting it up last night at 11:00 and there was ZERO bugs or bacteria (thanks to the TAGS). Nothing but a nice crust with tender meat underneith. Here's the rest of the story. Our other hunting buddy Rob shot the grizz on night two. We woke up early the next morning and headed to our usual look outs to glass for moose right at daylight. About 10:00am, and not seeing any moose, we decided to start our 2 mile hike to the bear for skinning. We got back to the cabin around 1:00pm and settled in for our daily nap untill our late afternoon glassing session. Sean woke up first and b-lined out the door and to the left to the outhouse. I then got up, walked to the door, stretched and looked first to the left, then to the right and then about faintd! There was Kayla's big moose not 30 yards from the cabin, at 3:30 on a sunny afternoon about to step into the lake to swim across. I spun around and loudly whispered to Kayla to get up and grab her boots and gun. In just a few minutes that moose was 50 yards out in the lake and heading for a island that was a little over 100 yards out. I told her to catch her breath, get calm and sqeeze the trigger as soon as he is ALL the way out of the water. She has killed bears and caribou so I didn't have to tell her about shot placement. What happen next was the best part of the trip. I just sat back behind Kayla and kept switching my eyes from the moose and then back to her. As soon as the big boy was out of the water she let him have one in lungs, then like she has been shooting for 20 years, she jacked another shell in and placed her second shot instantly again in the lungs. Third shot was to the neck and it finished him off. I have killed plenty of moose over the years but I shaking. I remember one of my first thoughts was thinking that I created life 14 years ago and now she's right here next to me and just took a great animal. We hugged and it took me a minute to be able to let her go. Anyway, EASY pack out, in fact no meat ever hit our backs. We made a meeat pole on the island right behind the moose and there it hung for eight days in the cool shade. It was truely a gift. BUT, her little friend two days later had to go out and tromp almost 2 miles into a bog to drop her moose so we ended up getting 2 days of packing time. Pretty sure on one of the trips while packing I heard a cuss word but I let it go...

Default Great!

Nice job STEVE! Congrats to your daughter and her friend. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story. The girls are surely doing well this fall! I am guessing around 60"

Right on!! Way to go. Congrats to you and your daughter to some very nice looking animals. Looks like a great time had by all. Keep up the good work.

That is totally awesome! RIGHT ON!

Really great trip! Thanks for the photos. They cant all be long hikes and missed shots!
    Your story reminds me of taking my daughter for her moose. Also had her friend along. Watching the barrel swaying slowly back and forth, each arch smaller than the last until, BLAM! Bull down! hugs hugs hugs
    Fantastic congrts to you and your party.

Sounds like an excellent trip! Excellent picts, looks like a great trip.

The brow tines are throwing me off on the moose guess; I'll go a solid 54".

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast