Thread: Success in 16B

Default Success in 16B

We hunted 16B for 9 days somewhere between the mouth of the Yentna and Swentna. Left the launch with 2 boats and one of the boats holed a piston on the second bend out of the launch. We towed it back winched it on the trailer then ran to Big Lake to have it checked out at Burkeshore. When we found out it was terminal we loaded everything in one boat and headed out anyway.

The first 4 days were warm or drizzly with lots of bugs and no moose. One of the guys missed out on a Black bear by having his scoped turned up to 9 power. You can't see much at 25 feet thru a 9X scope. On night 4 though I heard a moose rake and grunt a couple times so I stayed till we almost couldn't make it back to camp in the dark on the river but to no avail.

The next morning two of us were at my stand and one was in the adjoining meadow. All we could get from the bull I heard the night before was one short rake. We were trying every moose calling trick we could think of to get this moose interested. After about an hour of this, from the adjoining meadow we heard what sounded like a pile of lumber being beaten against the trees. A different moose was going nuts. He was grunting with every step and destroying a willow bush every third step. After about 1/2 hour he had covered the 500 yds across the meadow and we could hear him just on the other side of the tree line. He was right under our partners stand. But no shot, this moose sounded HUGE, so we thought maybe our partner had left his stand and went to the river. I was just about to wade the river channel to get over there when I heard his 30-06 dispatch the moose. We went over there to admire his harvest and I asked what took so long to shoot and he said "I was just enjoying the show and the moose was getting closer and closer so I waited till he was under 100 Feet away." The moose had 57" wide antlers and over 500 lbs of boned out meat to the processor. It was about a 1/2 mile pack out to the river.

That night we called in another smaller bull but could not Identify enough brow tines in the waning light. It warmed up again and we did not see or hear another moose the rest of the trip. All in all a great trip with good friends and memories.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

congrats on the moose!! Sweet pic

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Beautiful moose and a great story. Your friend had a front row seat and used it to his full advantage. Very fortunate to be able to watch the "show".

Default Nice Moose

Congratulations to your friend on an eventful hunt. That is a very nice moose and for him to be lucky enough to get to have it under the stand at 100 yards is awesome.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Congrats, Jim, bummer about the engine on the other boat. Glad you guys made a go of it and had a good time. Gnats were really bad here earlier in the season and on warmer days, was sure glad to have the headnet along.

Congratulations.....Well Done.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    He was grunting with every step and destroying a willow bush every third step. After about 1/2 hour he had covered the 500 yds across the meadow and we could hear him just on the other side of the tree line. He was right under our partners stand. But no shot, this moose sounded HUGE, so we thought maybe our partner had left his stand and went to the river. I was just about to wade the river channel to get over there when I heard his 30-06 dispatch the moose. We went over there to admire his harvest and I asked what took so long to shoot and he said "I was just enjoying the show and the moose was getting closer and closer so I waited till he was under 100 Feet away." The moose had 57" wide antlers and over 500 lbs of boned out meat to the processor. It was about a 1/2 mile pack out to the river.

jkb,

This story and picture look very familiar.

If so, I work with your buddy who shot this moose. Small world!!
    I blanked out his face only because he sent the pic to me and didnt post it himself.

Is this the same moose?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Same moose thats my hand in front holding the antler. Great moose for his first, we are all very happy for him.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author