Thread: Leica CRF 900

Default Leica CRF 900

Anyone else have trouble ranging Dall sheep with their CRF rangefinder? I spent 2 weeks chasing sheep and tried many, many times to range sheep that were well within 900 yards and had no luck at all.

Even dark objects right next to them were impossible to range along with a bull moose that I tried them on. To say I was extremely disappointed is an understatement as this was the main reason for buying it. I was able to range some trees and stuff in camp but I didn't buy it for that. Thoughts?

I love mine, Its the only rangefinder that I have EVER been able to range things upwards of 900, think I even ranged something over 900 once.

I do find that is does not like fog,,,,evenly sparse fog, or rain.

Other than that, no problems at all, this one replaced a leupold that said it was good to 500, I couldn't even get it to range houses at that. It was a decent 250 and under finder, but really dont need a rangefinder out to those distances.

Try a new battery, they get funny without full power, or send it to leica, I'm sure they would stand behind it, should be doing better than you described

Something's wrong. Call Leica and send it back.

Brett

Default something's wrong

I've been using mine since last year and I love it. I've ranged several animals over 600 yards. I ranged a bull moose running at 511 yards (just couldn't get it to stop long enough to shoot). I used it alot at steep angles on my sheep hunt this year and it worked perfectly but it couldn't make them grow the other 1/8 of a curl they needed. Just my luck.

Mine ranges to 999 if I take a step back it goes to --- one awesome rangefinder worked great on sheep and moose, cars driving by, kids running at football practice, etc. etc. Ranged my 16 year old in a downpour while sheep hunting at 886. moving objects it reacquires with a new range reading about every 2 seconds. Objects need not be reflective. If it doesn't do all of these or equal call Leica and send it back. I bought mine through Cabelas! (Added insurance) they have exchanged or credited me for anything I have purchased and was not satified with. Replaced the same fishing rod three times. With customer care like that I find it hard to buy anything they have anywhere else.

My Dad's Leica had a problem with the switch in it. He thought it had acted funny once or twice before the hunt, but on day three of the hunt, the thing just quit. It would give you the little red x thingy, but never give you a range. Thanks goodness I had borrowed and brought along a Leupold RXIII from a buddy. Four days later it told me my sheep was across the valley at 324 yards, and half hour later told me my Dad's sheep that had been hanging with his now deceased friend had bedded down just under 300. That extra rangefinder in a way saved our hunt. He sent his back to Leica and it has been replaced it, but a sheep hunt is not the place you want to have gear troubles. When they are working though they work like a charm, and I sure do like their size.

Got an e-mail from Leica, they told me to send it to them so they can make things right so I sent it out USPS priority mail yesterday. Unfortunately I won't have one for my goat hunt next weekend.

Bum deal....let us know how it turns out, though. If I hadn't sold mine, I'd let you borrow it...

Appreciate the offer hunt_ak, mighty good of ya! No biggie though, i'll just have to let my ranging skills takeover......

You can borrow my Nikon Monarch 800...it works really good.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    You can borrow my Nikon Monarch 800...it works really good.
    I've never been able to get mine to range over 500 or so. How about you? Otherwise it works good. But it definitely not as bright as the Leicas. I've looked through both them side by side in the field. But, then again, I think I paid less than 200 bucks for the Nikon.

I have ranged animals out to 600 or so yards, i do adjust the focus on the eye piece, but they don't compare to the Leicas, but they will do and its what I use until i can afford the others. for the money they are a great.

Leica sent me a brand new replacement rangefinder yesterday, only caveat was that instead of shipping me a new CRF900, they sent me a new CRF1200. Apparently the 900 is discontinued, if you have one that is fubared, you might want to send it in for a new CRF1200. They took care of me and I couldn't be happier, though communication was very sketchy. I had no idea they had shipped me a new one and when the box came yesterday I was confused as I had not expecting any packages. Leica, Leupold, and Swarovski take care of their customers and I see no reason to buy anything else!

That is great news!! I am glad to hear that they took good car of you!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Leica sent me a brand new replacement rangefinder yesterday, only caveat was that instead of shipping me a new CRF900, they sent me a new CRF1200. Apparently the 900 is discontinued, if you have one that is fubared, you might want to send it in for a new CRF1200. They took care of me and I couldn't be happier, though communication was very sketchy. I had no idea they had shipped me a new one and when the box came yesterday I was confused as I had not expecting any packages. Leica, Leupold, and Swarovski take care of their customers and I see no reason to buy anything else!
    That's real good news. I have the same (CRF 1200 Scan), but an older model, and really liked from day one. I use it every moose season, and so my hunting partners. He used mine, and decided to buy one One thing I like about the model I have is that it uses a 9-volt battery.

Sounds like you have the LRF and not the CRF, it uses a watch type battery. Have heard lots of good things about those LRF's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Sounds like you have the LRF and not the CRF, it uses a watch type battery. Have heard lots of good things about those LRF's as well.
    Having owned both the LRF and CRF models I can tell you that they both read solid out to their described range limits if the conditions allow. The only reason I sold the LRF was it was a little bulky to operate with one hand. AKHUNTER you'll like the 1200 for sure. Nice to know that you still have a LONG ways to stalk when it says 1125 yards to go.