Thread: mutt or purebreed for hunting dog

Default mutt or purebreed for hunting dog

I'm new to waterfowl hunting and am very interested in getting a dog. I have gotten several opinions on types of dogs. Some people say get a dog from a breeder that specializes in "hunting dogs". Other people say not to worry about it. It's all in the training. I have a buddy who has a yellow lab that mated with a border collie and believes the pupps would make great hunting dogs...Anyone have opinions on this? Thanks

Default both are correct

upfront.....I believe in responsible breeding.

You can have the most well bred dog and without some discipline and training, it can be a nightmare for a hunting dog.
    If you have the time and experience you can train many dog breeds to do a lot of things.

You can pound 16d nails into a 2x4 with a socket wrench, but a hammer would work better.

Your friend's border/lab mix might make a good hunting dog. The question is what level of training experience do you have and what level of hunting dog do you want? You have two different breeds mixed, both smart and biddable, but with different qualities and instincts. It is doable, but a pure lab will usually be easier to train for hunting and the collie would usually be easier to train for herding, just by the nature of the individual dog breeds.

What ever you get needs to have prey drive and an inherited retrieving instinct. If a dog has those two things ...teaching to hunt is a cinch.

There is another good thread going "needing a new pup" that discusses a lot of what you are asking.

Does Wetland Retrievers have any dogs available?

I don't at this time. I have one yellow female, but she is more like a house pet than a potential field dog. She is recovering from a surgery she needed.
    I don't have the numbers of rescues that I use to. It really sucked having to force myself to cut back. I really enjoyed and it was a great service to the breed. I still bring some in on a case by case basis. Most I just refer.
    Nowadays I'm just too busy with training dogs. From time to time I will bring in a rescue as a started dog.
    A good website to check is www.adoptafriend.net On there is a large listing of rescue groups along with some website links that will show what they have available.