Thread: ocean worthy?

Cool ocean worthy?

I'm looking at getting a really sweet looking boat in trade for my quad in a couple days. All i know right now is that it is an 18' fiberglass V-hull cuddy cabin, with a 4cyl volvo engine and a 280 outdrive.The boat has been sitting for a few years, but it dosnt look bad at all.

I guess i would like some info on whether or not this is gonna be a deer/shrimp/halibut killing machine. (I really hope so). Anyone running a volvo? Are they any good? What should i look for?, since its been sitting for awhile...

It should be able to. I'm assuming you would hunt out of Whitter? Heading out to the islands for deer with an 18 I would be a little concern. Once you pass decsion point it's wide open and can get pretty rough. I saw allot ot 18 hanging around pigot point this summer on nice days. Every thing else you want to catch is no problem.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

In small boats, seaworthiness has all to do with who is at the helm. Without looking at the boat it's impossible to know whether it is seaworthy. 18 foot is the shortest v hull I'd want to take out in the saltwater, and then it's still a very small boat.

The real key is, watch the weather and don't take risks. When it's time to tuck tail and head in, do just that. If you can't make it in, then you need to know every hidey hole and sit out the nasty stuff.

Key things to check on a fiberglass boat is the wood. As far as I know all fiberglass boats have some wood in them, and often it get's waterlogged. It would be worth the money to have a surveyor check out the boat before you finalize the trade. While you may consider a couple hundred bucks too much for something that is worth a few thousand, it's your life and possibly others that is on the line if you head out in an unsafe boat.

who would i take it to? maybe deweys?

Do you have a pic of your boat?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

not yet, this weekend for sure though. i have been lookin around at some boating stores, and have found some really neat stuff. pot pullers and whatnot. we are gonna bring it into the shop this weekend, and let it thaw out, try to get it started. i know i am gonna need a battery for sure, so i am thinkin of maybe a blue top optima? yes/no?

**** im excited.

I think you should be looking at a bigger boat for the things you want to do and where you want to do them.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default kill em or get killed!!!!

There is only two ways to look at the ocean after you drive your boat in it!

1. The ocean will give you the fruits when she offers.

2. The ocean will take your fruits, your love, your life, when not offerd.

Weather, knowlege, and someone who has been in it is like daisy duk to a moonshining reed neck.

Be prepared but accept you loses before you start. Almost every town has a bar to talk about how bad you wanted to go fishing.

Even the coast guard has it's limits.

TACO BELL

Default be safe and have fun

If it is a sound boat it might be a good start. Something to learn with like others said just keep a sharp eye on the weather. I started with a Bayliner with a 110 hp and a 270 out drive had fun the first year in seward with it. I got it cheep sold it for what I had into it figured out what was the next step to take, and now I have a nice little 22' SS that works just fine. So just be safe have fun enjoy and if all goes well you will take it to the next level. as for batteries just buy a marine batterie theyare built a bit stronger to take the pounding of waves . I bought a couple from walmart seemed to be working fine so far and on my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    There is only two ways to look at the ocean after you drive your boat in it!

1. The ocean will give you the fruits when she offers.

2. The ocean will take your fruits, your love, your life, when not offerd.

Weather, knowlege, and someone who has been in it is like daisy duk to a moonshining reed neck.

Be prepared but accept you loses before you start. Almost every town has a bar to talk about how bad you wanted to go fishing.

Even the coast guard has it's limits.

TACO BELL

dude, fruit? moonshine? what the hell are you talking aboot?

Default JMH

I have a 28 footer and I would recommend that you get used to the boat first before you venture out to far. After that just keep an eye on the weather and know your limitations and you will do fine. I would also recommend you get a good kicker for it..

Default Ak Steve

Sounds like you need an 18 ft Tolman Skiff. I know of a person who took one from Bristol Bay, around False Pass, and up to Kodiak. Not too shabby for a plywood work skiff!