Thread: What's up with the flies?

Default What's up with the flies?

The first few years after we finished our cabin, there were lots and lots of flies that ended up dying on the window sills. I figured most of this was due to eggs that were somehow attached to the materials and hatched over time. I figured eventually, the number would go to zero but that is not the case. Seems like every couple of weeks we vacuum up a hundred or so dead ones and a week or two later, they start to show up again. We have even tried bug bombing them but that wasn't a long term solution.

Our place is pretty tight and we don't see any flying around inside usually so anyone know where they are coming from and how to get rid of them once and for all!

Great question. I have no definitive answer, but here's my observation.

My cabin is on piers and is open on all sides. My neighbor's cabin is skirted. I have very, very few black flies. He has tons of them. I always attributed the difference to the skirted foundation. But since I'm the one with few flies I never gave it that much thought.

Our cabin is on piers that are not skirted and we have tons of flies. So, I don't think that is it. I would love to know why they think the inside of our cabin is the place to be. They spend most of their time banging into the windows trying to get out.

They are not coming in through the door. We'll have them in the dead of winter (after the cabin warms up) so they must be crawling in through cracks. Again I have no idea why. We keep the place clean and there isn't anything for them to eat while we are gone but they still come in, fly around, and die. Which is always lovely when you return to what was a clean cabin and now there are dead flies all over the place and fly puke/crap all the window sills.

Is it a log cabin? I know that they love to hide in the drying cracks in the logs....

This is a very important question. One I would love to know the answer to. It rates right up there with :
    *Where do some of my socks go after I KNOW I put them in the dryer?
    *Where did I put that dang screwdriver? It couldn't be that far away from me...
    *Where did I put that dang wrench...?
    * I dropped the only screw needed to finish the job. Its left the universe.
    Where did it actually go?

I noticed this phenomenom 20+ yrs ago when we first had a cabin south of Copper Center. Flies always began appearing, especially in the winter, after the cabin was warmed up. There were no flies to be found outside in -40F weather, so I always assumed they werre laying eggs either in the logs or within the log-chink material. For what it's worth, our cabin was a mix of original Log built structure with the lower logs on corner supports, and 6x6 rough-cut 2-story extension on corner supports as well, thus open underneath like Mr. Pids'.

My place at Lake Louise is built much higher off the ground, and we only get a very small qty -- maybe 3-5 each time we warm it up.

Are there any Entimologists out there that can shed some light on this?

Our cabin is stick built, not logs, so that's not the reason either.

Perhaps the disappearing dropped screws are reemerging as cabin flies!

Default I know where they are coming from-

Well, I'm no expert on this, but the way I explained it to my kids starts off something like this:

"When two flies love each other verrry much..."

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

speaking of bug, i was out at eklutna lake last weekend, and there was these awful small like nat / fly looking things that were swarming us the whole time... what the heck are they? they are sure annoying, i didnt bring no bug dope since i havent run into any problems other places..
    Semper Fi!

I would make a Golden Malprin fly trap and killed all the flies, before they lay eggs.

My wife asked an entomologist friend why some cabins get more flies than others. She said its probably a matter of opportunity. A cabin with more places for flies to find their way in will have more flies than a cabin with fewer places. I'd add that those same flies might have better opportunities outside the cabin as well.

That got me thinking about where flies can enter. Gray water drains. Stove pipes. Little gaps under doors. Gaps in intersecting walls/floors at additions. I used to have more indoor insects, more mosquitoes than flies, but over the years have made it a habit to close drains, shut-down any air controls on the wood stove, and seal everything I can with weather strip and squirt foam. The things that made the biggest difference were closing drains and wood stove vents. And outside, clearing a wide perimeter down to low cut grass. That REALLY helped with bugs.