Thread: .416 Ruger Picatinny Rail...

Default .416 Ruger Picatinny Rail...

I just purchased a .416 Ruger Hawkeye Rifle and wish to have a picatinny rail installed forward of the scope mounts for a scout rifle. After using such a rail for my AR-15 and seeing the usefullness of it for every kind of sight imaginable...I'm thinking with my 20" barrel...I might be able to move my rear sight (forward/rearward) so that a rail could be used? I purchased a blank rail from brownells...but it will require milling to fit barrel diameter/contour and will need to be drilled...four screws preferred.

I wish the barrel to be ported...possibly on upper portion of the barrel band...and the stock to be drilled to accomodate several recoil reducers.

The bolt is positively the roughest I have ever encountered...and I am trying to rework it so that it cycles smoothly!

Is there a gunsmith in Alaska that can perform this kind of work...and if so do you have any contact numbers for them.

Best Regards!

Nthomas

Bring it by

Quote Originally Posted by akbearhunter View Post
    I just purchased a .416 Ruger Hawkeye Rifle and wish to have a picatinny rail installed forward of the scope mounts for a scout rifle. After using such a rail for my AR-15 and seeing the usefullness of it for every kind of sight imaginable...I'm thinking with my 20" barrel...I might be able to move my rear sight (forward/rearward) so that a rail could be used? I purchased a blank rail from brownells...but it will require milling to fit barrel diameter/contour and will need to be drilled...four screws preferred.

I wish the barrel to be ported...possibly on upper portion of the barrel band...and the stock to be drilled to accomodate several recoil reducers.

The bolt is positively the roughest I have ever encountered...and I am trying to rework it so that it cycles smoothly!

Is there a gunsmith in Alaska that can perform this kind of work...and if so do you have any contact numbers for them.

Best Regards!

Nthomas
    Why did you buy such a gun if you're afraid to shoot it without all those recoil abatement modifications?? It isn't a cannon. They are very mild in recoil with those ballistics, recoil is similar to the 30-06.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Speed shooting Murph

Any little bit of recoil reductoin helps

I use a brake or a can on an 11 pound 6.5

Default Fear was not mentioned Murphy...

The question asked...if there was someone available to do the work? Right now the rifle is somewhat of a "Sow's ear"...with the right gunsmith...it may one day be a "Silk Purse"!

But I'm sure since your the Moderator...you can shoot-off you mouth as you see fit!

Quote Originally Posted by akbearhunter View Post
    The question asked...if there was someone available to do the work? Right now the rifle is somewhat of a "Sow's ear"...with the right gunsmith...it may one day be a "Silk Purse"!

But I'm sure since your the Moderator...you can shoot-off you mouth as you see fit!
    Actually everybody can shoot off their mouth as they see fit (within the rules of this little community) and often do, yourself included...obviously. I just wondered why you would go to the expense of a muzzle brake, adding mercury in the stock and moving your scope a foot from your face for such a moderate caliber. As for the polishing of the action to smooth it up you can send to Ruger for free and they will do it or your could do it while you watch tv in the evenings. But you're not interested in that just want someone to stop the awful recoil..Let me guess, you haven't shot it yet.

I think this shooting forum should be called the Recoil Forum, rarely ever is a post made without the word recoil used in some way.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?