Thread: Moonlight Hunting Hours

Question Moonlight Hunting Hours

I'm possibly going to try some fox calling by moonlight this weekend. For some reason, I've always pictured myself doing so around midnight, but being as brilliant as I am, it just occured to me that it is plenty dark by early evening. As long as the moon is up, is there any difference in predator activity from 6pm to midnight or after? Is one time frame better than the other? Thanks in advance.

-Brian

Anytime in the dark is the best I think. I like it a little later, especially when calling in high human traffic areas. Prepare for some spookiness!
    Its cool being out there in the dark and cold. The trees crack, you hear noise everywhere. And man when them lights hit them eyes, its awesome.
    last year near portage I had a pack of wolves howling all night. made my hair stand on end.
    Good luck!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Start an hour before dark. Fox in my belief feed more right at dusk than any other time during the day. They will head for more open country as it becomes darker whereas they will feed more in brushy areas before it gets too dark. Fox are more crepuscular(most active at dusk and dawn) than they are nocturnal.

Thanks for the tips. As for light, I was just going to use the moonlight. Do you suggest an artificial light instead? If so, how do you set it up? I'm clueless in this area. My coach in all things predator hunting, my brother, has always just used the natural light.

-Brian

Get a scope mounted light. Optronix is a good one. I used the red lens for awhile, then lost it. Im not really sure if it made a difference or not. If anything I think they stayed in the light with the red lens a little longer.

Sometimes me and a freind call together. He operates the call and a spotlight (a handheld one) while I just wait with the gun and my scope mounted light.

When scanning with the light, keep it above the ground. When scanning all your trying to do is put the outer edge of the light on theyre eyes. When you catch eyes is when you want to lay the light right on them.

Some say to keep the light on all the time, some say just to turn it off and on once every 30 seconds or so. I did the latter. Saves batteries.

At night i think the animals will choose the path of least resistance most times. So concentrate your focus more on trails and openings.

I think trying to spot them with the moonlight would be pretty hard to do. Most times they will have a background of trees and what not behind them. If you called in big open fields and expeted them to come out in them maybe that would work okay.

Oh yeah, on those bright nights just looking through binoculars can really work well. And also be carefull not to shine the light on your gun, your self, the ground ect. Keep it up high in the air.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

One method of using a light is too get settled in where you want to start calling. Let the area settle down a bit(5-10 minutes) before you start calling. At intervals hold the light aiming straight up into the air and turn it on. Use the periphial light for scanning. Once you spot eyes in the periphial light, bring the light straight down to the intended target and let'em have it. Using lights at night is best in a 2 person operation. A lightman and a shooter.

Default Red lense

I have used a red lense back in ohio and it worked fairly well. I used a scope mounted light with a pressure switch on the stock. Works well and is rechargable.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...621&hasJS=true

Default Don't forget....

Using a light for predators requires a trapping license. ($15 is all)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Using a light for predators requires a trapping license. ($15 is all)
    Was gonna point out the no artificial light thing...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

go around high tide

B_M you are more than welcomed to join me on a predator hunt sometime. I usually hit Knik early in the mourning on the weekends. I have been meaning to make a weeknight trip but with all this darkness I have been somewhat hesitant. I tend to plan mourning trips so I have some twilight to work with.

I tried some night hunting last weekend with no success but the hunt had promise. We did locate two different howling packs of coyotes. One of which was within a hundred yards or so. We just could not get them to come to the dinner bell. After we warmed up in the swan lake cabin we checked out the area where we thought they were, we spotted tracks just around the corner from where we were and just out of sight. If I planned the stand better we would have spotted them, lesson learned. So close........

On the way back there were a few sets of coyote prints on top of our atv tire tracks that were made a few hours previous. We also spotted some fresh fox prints and some day old wolf prints. I have seen a good amount of wolf prints over the past three months but I have not spotted one of these animals for the past 10 years or so.

I was planning to wake up early tomorrow mourning and call in the Knik area but the wind and rain changed my mind. With each hunt I become more confident but I come home with nothing more than good time had in the outdoors, which is fine, but a successful hunt would make it all worth while.

WG,

I have always wanted to take an atv or a sled back into Swan lake in the winter but was always hesitent because I heard rumors of warm spots and what not in the ice. Would you say it is safe to launch a the Maud lake boat launch (snicker) and then follow the slough back in there? I think I already have my answer after reading your post, but any advice would be appreciated.

so a quick scan of the trapping regs page 13 says "YOU MAY NOT take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light (other than sunlight or moonlight)...

with the exception of killer style traps may be used with artificial lights

of course its not like we actually have law enforcement in this state so....

Default Read further in the regs....

There is an exception for predators.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default extra 15 bucks!

That sucks I passed on like 8 lynx my last trip across the denali hwy. For $15 I could have bagged at least one. Sure would have made a nice hat...I will be reading the trapping regs from now on!