Thread: remember why I hunt

Default remember why I hunt

So this season has been kicking my but. I have only seen a few bulls none within range. I have been feeling the pressure to put some meet in the freezer. But was out the other day with my 6 year old we were sitting this small pond. We heard some crunching behind us and with my luck thought "another stupid squirl" My sun says dad that is a moose. Sure enough it was a Big cow with a calf. She passed within 10 yards of us. My sun's eyes were as big as saucers and he was shaking with excitement. The caow and calf fed in the pond for about 15 min within 30 yards the whole time. Wow what an exciting experience to share with my sun. He came home from school the next day and told my wife "I love hunting" So when the pressure is on and you are feeling frustrated remember the real reason we hunt and take a child out with you and ensure the future of this great sport.

Quote Originally Posted by jcpeppin View Post
    So this season has been kicking my but. I have only seen a few bulls none within range. I have been feeling the pressure to put some meet in the freezer. But was out the other day with my 6 year old we were sitting this small pond. We heard some crunching behind us and with my luck thought "another stupid squirl" My sun says dad that is a moose. Sure enough it was a Big cow with a calf. She passed within 10 yards of us. My sun's eyes were as big as saucers and he was shaking with excitement. The caow and calf fed in the pond for about 15 min within 30 yards the whole time. Wow what an exciting experience to share with my sun. He came home from school the next day and told my wife "I love hunting" So when the pressure is on and you are feeling frustrated remember the real reason we hunt and take a child out with you and ensure the future of this great sport.
    Awesome post...and welcome to the forum. You hit it right on the head with this one!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Welcome to the forum! Yea...reminds me why I'm taking my boys out again tonight.

It feels good and gives lifelong memories. I remember hunting with my dad as a kid never killed anything just enjoyed the time. Now my brother and I were murderous little----- and killed everything when we were growing up. I regularly take my kids and the neighbor kids with me. I had four of them with me when I got my moose this year 5,6,7 and 11 years old. All that noise and still scored. I wouldn't trade those experiances for all the trophies in the world. Kudos to you and your son.

Default Great post!

It puts things in perspective. And welcome to the forum.