Thread: who wants to deer hunt this weekend!!!!!!!!

Default who wants to deer hunt this weekend!!!!!!!!

Hawkins Island, leave anchorage Thursday evening for Valdez, split hotel 4 ways, wake up early on Friday, take boat to the Island, cost $100 for gas and whatever it costs to split the hotel. You need to bring whatever you need to survive for 3 days, leaving the island on Monday morning for home. We are being dropped off in the canoe passage area, if you want to go give me a call 677-6303 asap, or work 552-7245, realize that this request is going out to several different areas, first come, first serve,

wayne

Dang, wish I had more notice. I'd take you up on it.

As would I. I would've jumped at this last weekend, but don't think I can make it happen this coming week. Bummer.

-Brian

Unhappy

Thanks Wayne!!! Do it during my Drill weekend. Have fun out there and take lots of pics for us.
    GOOD LUCK
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default frozen

FYI

Most of Canoe Pass is frozen in right now. There's been very cold weather here for the past two weeks. Just remember, the area that's left has a lot of private land and Native land.

The boats that have been coming in with the most deer lately have been down on Hinchinbrook in the Port Etches to Deer Cove area. From Valdez, That's probably not much farther than Canoe Pass.

I would but I'm in Juneau
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default cabins on the canoe pass

I picked up a map for this area, the gentleman taking us out knows the boundaries, I noticed 4 cabins according to the map, are these forest service cabins that can be rented on line?? I wouldn't think private cabins would be posted on a national map. Your thoughts?

IF you hunt near a cabin that area has most likely been hunted hard. If you can get away from a cabin to hunt.
    That is weired a private cabin would be posted on a national map.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Dang!

Dont think I can swing leaving tonight, but if your not full I can try! Can a non resident military individual still get the appropriate tag/license to hunt out there or is it a resident only tag?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

You can get the tags, Cory. Take a look at the regs for unit 6. I can't recall...you might be restricted to one less animal (the resident limit is 5 deer), but you can certainly hunt. Wish I could go!

-Brian

Default Cabins

The cabins are privately owned and there are about 7 or 8 not 4. The local natives own a big chunk of land around the pass and sold large lots there in the 80's. They also own some large chunks on the north end of the island including all of the Salmo Point area and the Cedar Bay area. I think there's more too but I'd have to look at a map. The south end from Canoe pass is mostly federal I think.

Default weather

Keep your eye on the weather too. It can jump up at you. Don't know how big a boat you're using.

Here's a good link to the gulf and the Sound.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine

Default Bummer

Thanks for the info Brian. I looked it up and you are correct. Looks like I will miss out on this one though. Really wish I could have made it!!! Looking forward to seeing the pics of the hunt at least!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default just my thoughts

I guess its a good thing no one else wanted to go, it never happened, have to scratch my head on that one, seriously, if anyone is looking to go in the month of december, and needs an extra to help defray the cost, please shoot me a PM, I have had to tell my boss now 2x in one month that the plans were canceled. I just want to hunt