Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting Hatcher Pass

Default Moose hunting Hatcher Pass

Spent the weekend with a friend trying to find him a legal moose, between the umpteen million hunters and biting bugs, we managed to find a few bulls worthy of a closer look. We rode down to a spot I have been hunting since about 2001 and there was nobody there, which I thought was odd.

Spotted a smallish bull almost right away but he was not legal, then a cow and calf a few minutes later. While glassing a distant hillside I happened to spot what looked like a large bull with 3-4 cows. We were short on time and the weather was turning bad so we didn't pursue them and instead went back to the camper. Sure was nice to have his camper along to get in out of the cold and rain and enjoy a cold beverage and some dinner.

Next day found us back on top and in a different glassing location. Took about 5 minutes and we spotted the big bull again only this time he was by himself. So we packed things up and headed to his locale. It took about an hour on the wheeler to get to where we thought he might be and walked down the hill. Tried calling and raking along with a few cow calls but he was unrepsonsive, probably due to him having some cows with him the day before is what we figured, though we did manage to call in 3 hunters. Stayed at it for another 4-5 hours then finally decided to bag it thinking he may have cleared out for safer country. Went back to the camper and had a killer fire and some fresh moose tenderloins, Stove Top and biscuits for dinner.

Got up Sunday morning, had some coffee then loaded up the wheelers for a short morning hunt. Went back up on top again, stopped above the treeline and almost immediately spotted a fair bull below a camp on the remote hill acorss the road/creek but we had no way to get to him. So we pressed on and found a spot a little closer to the big bull for glassing. Glassed for about an hour before the bull showed himself again, only this time he wasn't alone, there were 3 other bulls with him though they looked much smaller. Unfortunately, they were headed into the timber and we didn't have time to go up and try to find them so we bagged it called it a hunt.

I was pretty amazed that even with all the pressure in there that we were able to spot some legal bulls that hadn't been taken. If I hadn't already scored on a bull i'd be taking a day off and go back and find that big bull. With the closer being on Friday and last few days of the hunt being during the week, I suspect hunting pressure is going to drop significantly and the hunting should pick up. If you've got the time, get up there and bag you a moose.

Default Ummmmm

You do realize that Hatchers Pass area 14A closed on the 25 right????

Default according to

the date on my watch, the 25th won't roll around for another 4 days, RIGHT??
    Gary

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not spending my last 4 days in the field with 24,000 members
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    the date on my watch, the 25th won't roll around for another 4 days, RIGHT??
    Gary
    Funny Gary my watch is saying the same thing Sounds like you had a fun trip

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    You do realize that Hatchers Pass area 14A closed on the 25 right????
    closed? you mean closes right

Default Dag nabbit

Here we go again, somewhere (probably due to an alien abduction) I have lost a week.

Sorry.

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    closed? you mean closes right

Sorry boys and girls but I'm lost. My watch reads the 21st. Looks like there is still a few days left.

If you read the last paragraph of my hunt report, you'll see where I said it closes on Friday, which is the 25th. I've hunted this area the last week and that's when it was always the best hunting.

AkHunter,

You sure are asking a lot of this bunch to READ and comprehend the whole story!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

So where in Hatchers are these bulls AkHunter? cmon I know you learned to share in kindergarten
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

They are on the far ridge, hiding in the woods above the creek......

And while I'm at it, I happened to observe several "hunters" on atv's riding through "PRIME" moose habitat.......now why in the hell would someone rdo something stupid like that? What a waste of time and effort plus the damage to the terrain will take years to heal. Please people, if your out moose hunting, don't ride your wheeler where the moose live, eat and breath. Your only making things tougher on us and the moose. Get off the ****ed wheeler and do a little walking to bag your bull. This same thing happened down at my moose camp a few weeks back and it makes me sick to see prime moose habitat ruined by lazy hunters. Areas we use to glass and see moose almost daily are now devoid of moose and there are atv/utv trails all over. Rant over.

Default +1 Akhunter45

ATVs are great for accessing a moose hunt and bringing home meat.

Using them to HUNT moose is foolish and lazy unless your legs are broke.

one of the areas that I hunt is now looped w/ wheeler trails. Apparently they just drive around hoping to scare one up I guess, perhaps they get lucky but from what I can tell all it does is push the moose out of the area.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

On my hunt, I walked in, sat down, and quietly glassed for over two hours. Three guys, each on his own 4 wheeler, drove up and parked on the next ridge over. They sat there on their 4wheelers, glassing. They only stayed for about 30 minutes and then left. It reminded me of a "drive-in window" hunt. "Would you like fries with that moose?" I couldn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    They are on the far ridge, hiding in the woods above the creek......

And while I'm at it, I happened to observe several "hunters" on atv's riding through "PRIME" moose habitat.......now why in the hell would someone rdo something stupid like that? What a waste of time and effort plus the damage to the terrain will take years to heal. Please people, if your out moose hunting, don't ride your wheeler where the moose live, eat and breath. Your only making things tougher on us and the moose. Get off the ****ed wheeler and do a little walking to bag your bull. This same thing happened down at my moose camp a few weeks back and it makes me sick to see prime moose habitat ruined by lazy hunters. Areas we use to glass and see moose almost daily are now devoid of moose and there are atv/utv trails all over. Rant over.
    Your assuming they're smart enough to recognize "prime" moose habitat.

Hopefully I'm smart enough to recognize it tommorrow.
    Paul

If your riding your wheeler right through the middle of it, then you probably aren't....

no wheeler I'm on foot.
    Paul

No wheeler for me today, but still plenty of competition for prime terrain. I was set-up before it was light enough to really see and I'd guess it was probably about 90 minutes in that I saw my first ATV, followed shortly by the second, then the third. After another group of three went through the area I had been glassing, I figured I could be on my couch with a cup of Irish coffee watching scenery on my TV and not have to deal with the bitter wind, wet butt and cold nose, so here I am. Probably as good a chance to shoot one in my front yard as there was to shoot one in Hatcher's, and there's certainly less company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast