Thread: 28' glas ply w/ cat 3208 diesel

Default 28' glas ply w/ cat 3208 diesel

Im looking at buying this boat. Ya ya I know its SLOW (8Knts) but how about the cat 3208? anyone have any experience with these engines? Thanks for any and all feedback.

3208 has a long history as a marine engine. Lots of SE Seiners have/had them (pwoer skiffs too and some gillnetters). Older technology, but rebuildable and reliable and long lived motors.

Is the boat you are looing at in Juneau? What is the name? Is it in the water or been on dry land for a long spell.

There is one in Juneau and rigged with trolling poles and I have seen it out on the water moving at displacement speeds. There is another in town was used as charter boat for a while with a single straight shaft that did around 13-15 kts (guess).

Those 28s are really well built, and have held up over time.
    Sobie2

Default sitka

its in sitka. Im not positive, but I think it is direct drive. I believe it has been in the h2o for the last 3 yrs. Anything you can suggest to check out specific to this hull and engine? thanks

The boat shouldn't have any issues that you cannot see, the motor should have an engine oil analysis completed prior to purchase this will tell you if it is ok.

Default 2nd that oil analysis...

Great way to see what's going on in there. My buddy has a 34' fiberglass (Ohima) gillnetter that has a turbo, (non inter or after cooled) 3208. Been in there for at least 15 years and runs great. The boat sits most of the year on barrels then has to work it's rear off for about 2 months. Never complains, fires instantly after winter and is reliable. I think he wishes for a little more hp, but who doesn't? I've been intimate with that Cat as I used to deckhand for him and have buried myself in the bilge under the motor changing oil and such. Seems to me you should be able to get a little better than 8 knots @ cruise.
    Good luck!