Thread: Eklutna bow hunting

Default Eklutna bow hunting

Do not have too much time to hunt this year, too many schedule conflicts. Does anyone have any points of interest in the Eklutna bow hunt for moose? Going to try and spend a few days out there next week to see if I can get lucky. I hear the success rate out there is pretty small but given my time limitations it is the only chance I have this season. Any info will help.

I tried to the south of the lake last year, saw more hunters than moose. I also took one of the hiking trails to the north up the hill, can't remember which one. Saw lots of rubs about 2/3 the way up. Problem was there were also lots of recreational hikers in the area. I did see one moose on the south side of the lake way up high but did not have a boat to get to him. If you can go during the week, try that.

Steve

Thanks for the info, we will be out there during the week when you can't take the 4 wheelers back in there. We will see what happens, thanks again

Default just my thoughts

The reason the numbers are low is because typically only 4 bulls can be taken there, like the other gentelman said, hunt during the week---when everyone is working.

Only 4 bulls may be taken there, and that quota has not been met for several years. Even though it is a free, registration permit within 30 minutes of downtown Anchorage. That should tell you a lot about bull density and accessability in that hunt area. Have fun, and prepare to stalk a very tasty fall black bear up in the berry patches. Practice up with flu flu arrows for spruce hen, too, and you'll be bringing home some meat. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Have fun, and prepare to stalk a very tasty fall black bear up in the berry patches.
    That's the best advice I've read for this hunt. Get yourself a black bear permit (it is registration for Eklutna, right? ), and focus on those while keeping an eye out for moose.

The one time I really hunted Eklutna for moose I ended up calling in three hunters. I might try again if I've got a day to burn, but as of now I'm just waiting for a heads-up from a family I know up there that owns a number of acres. If a bull steps on their land, I'll know about it the next day at work and will be on my way. It hasn't happened in the last couple of years, but some day....