Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: factory rifles in 6.5x55?

Default factory rifles in 6.5x55?

looking for a factory production rifle in 6.5x55. ive looked through ruger, remington, and winchester. they dont seem to make anything in that caliber though. sako and tikka do, but i dont care for the feel of them. any other current production rifles chambered in 6.5? i think ruger used to make a 6.5x55 in the m77. how about remington or winchester?

Default You gotta do some shopping...

on the likes of Gun Broker if you want one made in the US. Both Remington and Winchester made rifles, (Remington Classic and Winchester M70 Featherweight) as well as Ruger in 6.5 Swede, but it's been awhile, so you're going to be looking for a used one, OR, have one of the 'custom' shops put one together for you. Montana Rifle Co. will put one together for you, as will, I'm sure, Kimber, but you're gonna pony up some semi-serious cash for one of those.

Of the rifles currently available new, I'd have to raise my hand for a CZ 550.....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140724690
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140593475
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140571547
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140147147
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140159560
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-21-2009 at 06:54. Reason: .

tikka, sako, and cz.......take ur pic......it'll be a good pic with any one of em. my two hanpicked ones will not disappoint........

here is my fav. two:
    (guess which two models)
    Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09-28-2009 at 10:58.

Blaser

I saw one shoot 5 shots touching on Sunday

pic # 3.....guess what model...... (most affodable of the three)

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09-28-2009 at 10:58.

thats the tikka i believe. i just dont like the way they feel for some reason. i have a ruger m77 in .308 that i like. i may try to find one in 6.5x55. any 6.5 owners with the ruger care to comment on the accuracy of their rifle?

cool looking gun, but im looking for something a bit more common looking. wonder if i can ditch the full mannlicher stock and go with a stock that fits the m77's. hmmm. would like more barrel length though.

You can get the CZ in 6.5 swede without the mannlicher stock. And it comes with a set trigger. Awesome gun.

this my be an option. will look at my pricing tomorrow. ive never held or even seen a CZ. how is their quality? accuracy?

The 6.5x55 crys out Mannlicher stock and butter knife bolt handle

i know, but it doesnt suit the role well that i will be using it for.

Default CZ 550's

The CZ folks got it together on the gunmaking thing a long ways back. Most of the CZ rifles I've had are pre-WWII rifles, the VZ24 model 98, the VZ33 'small ring' 98, and the G33/40, a moniker hung on the VZ33 after the Nazi occupation forces seized the factory and had the little rifle produced for the Wehrmacht. The pre-war guns are, for military arms, beautifully fitted and finished. The Germans apparently just wanted rifles produced, and lots of 'em, as the finish work isn't near as nice as the earlier rifles, and if someone was standing over me with their bayonet at my neck, I wouldn't much care to do my best work for 'em, either....
    After the Germans moved out, the Soviets moved in, and their main work was still military arms, but of the ComBloc designs. They're finally working for themselves, and their effort does show!
    At the moment, I've a little 527 'Lux' in .223 that even with the light, pencil barrel, is capable of making itty bitty groups.
    I myself, prefer the 'American' style stock, though their European style stock without the full length forearm is very comfortable for me, also. For some reason, the 550's that I've had my hands on and fooled around with felt a tad heavy, but not unreasonably so. One of those rifles in 6.5 Swede should leave you wondering if the rifle went off.....

And here we have in our shop a custom VZ 24 action and...wait....look at that....a Lothar Walther 6.5x55 barrel....whoa, hey lookie a synthetic stock waiting to be finished.....a three position safety.....

Default Ruger 6.5 x 55 accuracy...

Adam,
    I have a Ruger M77 MKII in 6.5 x 55 and it shoots great! I am shooting MOA at 100 and 200 yards. It is a very rugged rifle and was inexpensive at the time I purchased. I am not sure if Ruger has 6.5 x 55 in the Hawkeye.
    Chaps

Chaps, it's a no-go on the Hawkeye. Their only offering is the Mark II International w/mannlicher stock.

From a purely handling and balance standpoint, the two best in my book are the M-70 Featherweight and a petite little Carl Gustav factory gun from the early 1970's. The M-70 belongs to a friend, and my daughter "liberated" the CG from my safe many years ago. Darn I miss it, but she's welcome to it, since it keeps her shooting. The M-70's might be easier to find, but keep your eyes peeled for a CG.

Default Husky 6.5

Just have to throw my .02 in here. I have a 62 year old M38 Husqvarna in 6.5 x 55, and it's just the sweetest 'lil thing. It came with the full-length stock which I cut down, and I had the bolt handle modified to work with a scope. Don't discount some of the old military Swedes as a viable alternative to a new rifle. With a minimal amount of tweaking, they can look and shoot every bit as well as a new gun, and for maybe a lot less money. I got mine for $80. The stock was beat up and (get this) painted with a dark brown paint. I stripped it and cleaned it up, and simply oiled the bare wood with a clear wood oil. If it gets a scrape, I just sand it out and re-oil. It's been the most durable, accurate, and fun rifle to shoot I've ever had. And load some of the 160 gr. Hornady RN for it. 45 gr. of RL22. Lots of punch, and one of the most accurate in my rifle. Have fun!

Sometimes Allan's Armory has commercial Husqvarnas in 6.5x55 Swede Mauser if you want to buy a classic sporter.

http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=65
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Blaser

I saw one shoot 5 shots touching on Sunday
    I think Blaser will do that any day of the week.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast