Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New chessie for me...

Default New chessie for me...

We brought home our new pup tonight. This will be my first crack at training a hunting dog and I'm going to do my best not to mess it up. I am an anxious learner, so if any of you guys need a hand with training your dogs I'd love to assist. I'll leave my pup at home, help out any way I can, and just try to learn a thing or two....

Here's Murdock

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Nice looking pup. From here local or shipped up from out of state?
    PM me your contact info.....I'll add you to my training group call list.

Cute puppy and SO serious looking! Hope Murdock settles in quickly too. WR is a great local resource for you & you guys met at the Pt. Mac. hunt tests!

Karen

Default New CBR

Hey Toshiro! Karen sent the link to this site. I went ahead and signed on here to follow the forums. Got your pics via Shutterfly. They're great. I love the one with your boys and Murdock. Were they excited? (dumb question, eh). That is got to be the best-looking Chesapeake pup I've ever seen BTW, Green Boy went to a new home this morning. They also have children. I think he'll be a nice pup for them. I think we'll see him in the spring training classes here in Fairbanks.

And Baron... Murdock is out of my 4 year old *****, Maddy. I bred her to Mary Ellen Mazzola's male, Blazer. It would be great if you and Toshiro could hook up for some training.

Too funny. I noticed in my previous post here that this forum blanked out my term for female dog. Didn't even think about it when writing!

Paula, you can't even say "****" without it looking like you said something bad
    D A M N
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    Nice looking pup. From here local or shipped up from out of state?
    PM me your contact info.....I'll add you to my training group call list.
    Pup is from Sundog Retrievers in Fairbanks. PM sent with my contact info. Thanks
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaE View Post
    Were they excited? (dumb question, eh).
    yep, the kiddos' were quite surprized....we didn't tell them that we were bringing him home last night....when they saw him at about 9pm, they went bonkers with excitement...lol....they couldn't get to sleep until after midnight.......
    pull my finger....

congrats on your chessie. I love mine, she is 9. Great dogs. They don't forget. Don't even think of doing hte 2x4 training method that you hear people talk about with chessies. They can actually be very soft dogs. Good luck training her and have fun, I trained mine, luckily she is much better than I trained her, thank God for genetics!

Congratulations on the new puppy. My wife and I are adding a pup to our family in a couple weeks too.

Great looking litter you had there Paula. I talked with Jac a little about them, but my wife and I ended up getting a lab for our first try at a hunting dog.

Jeremiah

Default Orange Boy!

Congrats on the new kid! I'm a friend of Paula's and was lucky enough to watch these little pups grow up. You made a great choice! I also have friends in your area who train, and a friend in Anchorage who has a littermate to your boy!

Enjoy your CBR!
    Wendy and Dawson

Day 1:

Maybe it was just from my kids' excitement, but when I returned home from work today, Murdock was in line with my kids waiting for a hug...add my wife to the mix and it now seems like the cost of entry into my home each night is now 4 hugs instead of 3...lol....

Paula, I took your advice and played a mean game of fetch with the 'ol sock in the hallway game tonight with Murdock....I was surprised how it turned out....He was good for about 10 retrieves at about five feet or so...lol...I'd play a bit with the sock and toss it a little down the hall...He'd charge after it, grab it and run right back to me.......he wouldn't even slow down coming at me, just barreling into my gut...lol...then my wife walked by and he got distracted (same problem I had when we met...lol)...so it turned out that he was good for a whopping 2 minutes of training tonight....it will be fun to see him progress...
    pull my finger....

Glad to hear Murdock likes the sock Try keeping the retrieves down to just 3-4 at a time. You can do it quite often through the day, but each session should be short. Finish with him wanting more.

TJM,

Keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to hear how that puppy grows over time. Are you located here in the interior?

JP

Ditto to what Paula said -- keep sessions short, simple & successful. Can't count the number of times people have said "my pup quit retrieving", so ask "how many marks are you doing?" All too often they're trying to do 10, 15, or more marks with a youngster. Here are a couple puppy training articles:

Jackie Mertens - http://working-retriever.com/library/jm020396.html

Bill Hillman - http://working-retriever.com/library/trainpup.html

Has anyone seen Evan Graham's DVD "Smartwork Puppy Program" or Bill Hillman's DVD "Training a Retriever Puppy"?

Karen

You know whats really fun, when he gets a little older is get one of those wrist rockets that shoots tennis balls. They love them. Put a little scent on the balls or you will loose alot of them.

Day 4:

Well pup is doing well. He is noticeably more comfortable in his new home. He is developing a pretty cool personality already. He is the most laid back pup I've been around....until I get the toys out or take him for a little walk in the woods around my house. He is quite enthusiastic/determined with what he has in mind to do. With the toys that's ok, but with the shoes not so much .

For some reason he likes to stick his head into my shoes, grab ahold, and run around the house blind (he's got a shoe over his head) shaking and growling....lol....I don't want to scold him so I take the shoe, tell him no, then give him a different toy. He immediately drops the toy and pounces on the shoe again. It take a good 6 or 7 repetitions before he gets distracted enough to leave the shoes alone. This happens a couple times a day. Any suggestions?

Paula, it has been tough to keep the little games of fetch to a minimum. After 3 or 4 short retrieves he isn't ready to quit....lol...tonight, after I stopped tossing the sock for him, he went and picked up one of my kids toys and brought it to me. After a bunch of praise he rolled over and enjoyed a bit of a tummy rub and I picked up the toy and put it away. He rolled over and did it again with a different toy. I think he just wanted another tummy rub...lol....So silly me figured, "Well, lets just keep playing fetch"...He brought back the sock 2 or 3 more times and then I experienced what Karen mentioned. He stopped bringing it back . I put the toys away, took him potty and he ran straight to his kennel and fell asleep. Lesson learned, I'll keep the game short for now...lol...

Kids have been having a good time pitching in with his care. Feeding him and taking him potty are the highlights of my kids day as of now. Only two accidents in the house thus far and they were entirely our fault.

Baron, thanks for the phone call the other day. I have nearly completed my 'homework assignment'...lol...
    pull my finger....

Thanks for the update. I love this thread.

I think that praising him when he brings you anything is a great idea, and keeping stuff positive at this early stage is very important. You are on the right path. I can't wait to see how this little pup develops.

Jeremiah

Congrats to all, Toshiro! What a cutie he is!
    How did he get the name 'Murdock?'

That is the name of a famous fudge place at Martha's Vineyard, btw, just a hop, skip and a jump from Alaska!

Keep those precious pics coming!
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    How did he get the name 'Murdock?'
    my wife picked it out...not sure why, I just thinks she liked it...lol

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    Keep those precious pics coming!
    Doc
    speaking of pics...I have some fresh pics of an ugly boat for you........I took them a couple months ago and never sent them....I'll keep the puppy pics coming as well...
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast