Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Trip success

Default Float Trip success

ip down the Sheemoobou River in Alaska and had some great success this year. The trip began on September the 4th with scouting from the super cub and then began floating and hunting on the 5th. After several days of looking at several dozen rams we decided to go caribou hunting. My brother took a nice bou at 35 yards and we proceeded to pack out the bou over several miles back to the rafts. Then we floated down the river and I took a nice cow moose the first evening of moose hunting. After a night of packing out the moose I spent the morning looking for more rams and spotted a couple of nice rams up in the hills. Two were legal and I decided to take the one with bigger bases. Packed out the sheep and proceeded with calling at several big bulls. My father ended up taking a nice bull with four brow tines and was 55 1/4 inch spread. The next several days we spotted a few more bulls but none that were within pack range or the size needed to be harvested. We had to saw out some sweepers and had some tricky class 3 rapids but we made it safely down the river with just over 1000 pounds of meat. An incredible hunt with some great weather!
    Attached Images Attached Images

A sheep, two moose, and a caribou? Sounds like a very successful hunt, indeed. Congrats!

Default Some more pictures

The ram that I took was aged at 8 years with 13 1/2 bases that held the mass through good drops with the right side tipped out at 36 1/2 inches. A great sheep hunt with the family watching the entire stalk from several miles away.

Nice hunt !!

Really pretty pictures too!

We missed a great opportunity at a really nice bull in the morning but that evening my father was able to brush thrash this nice bull in. His first moose and an excited hunter indeed.

Awsome, thanks for sharing..

I saw your Youtube video of your TMA ram from last year, I knew you looked familiar. I think your mom is great guide, seems like she is putting you on all these animals...

Here are few pictures from the float itself. A few sweepers and some tricky rafting with rafts loaded completely down with over 1000lbs. A lot of work with meat care and camp equipment but certainly worth it.

Here is the 5 of us at the completion. I don't know how much longer I have here in Alaska for I'm in the military and I'm afraid my time and service up here in Alaska may be running out. I will certainly do everything I can to stay here as long as possible as I know everybody that lives up here knows just how special this state is. I have certainly been blessed with some great outdoor experiences and wish everyone luck out in the field.

Sounds like an awesome trip! Congrats to all of you.

Fantastic, thanks for the story and pictures.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Default Yatzee!!!

A perfect trifecta...good hunting and awesome family adventure...thanks for the pics...p.s....clever river name

Very nice! Congrats on a great hunt.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default wow

Are you kidden me! AWESOME!

That first pic is fantastic. Torture to me sitting in flat boring Ohio.

Default Hey!!!

Nice hunt BJ. It's about time you found your way on to this site. Is that Ryan in your pictures? Did he come up for the hunt or does he live here now? Either way, nicely done, now how about jumping in that fancy government plane and bringing some steaks down to your elk pack mule. Before your time is up, come down to SE and we'll do a blacktail hunt.

It must have been fun with all the meat in the raft! Well done!

Default Congrats

I thought you would like that chute between the creeks :-) Good thing the water was up enough to float out eh! By the looks of it I should have hooked a brother up and taken that tree out for you but I was light and lazy hey at least it was marked. The side shoot was a B below the strip though in the heat.

Side note on the bou! I was looking at a similar bou for two days no tag fairly close to what seem to be three legal rams and one hill side moose same area. Good thing we chatted almost stayed there for a couple of more days but thought it best to leave our new friends lots of room.

Again congrats on a well deserved harvest man was it hot up there!

Blue Moose

Fricking Awesome Adventure, congrats!

Default Family photo (post #5)?

...priceless!

Great trip/story. Thanks for sharing.

This thread gets my first ATTABOY of the season.

Well done!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast