Thread: 25C Moose... what's up with this??

Thumbs down 25C Moose... what's up with this??

I was reading the regs the other day and saw something that I cannot believe I missed before. For moose it is open for residents from sept 1-15. For non-residents it is open from sept 5-25th! They get 20 days, we get 15 plus they get from the 15th to the 25! The best 10 days! I'm kind of peaved about this. Here I sit at home while non-residents can be up there moose hunting! In the nice cool frosty weather watching all the leaves fall off the brush whilst the bulls get the hankering to move around a little! I'd much rather hunt between the 15th and 25th. Or at least give us residents 20 days like the non residents. I think I'll talk to the Advisory committee about this and see about a proposal in the future to change this somehow. Any input? Can anyone shed any light on why non-residents get 5 more days than us and get to hunt later? It's any bull for res or non res also.

sounds wrong to me... is there much guide pressure in that GMU? i am not familiar with the area.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    sounds wrong to me... is there much guide pressure in that GMU? i am not familiar with the area.
    Not sure, kind of doubt it though. Lots of access off the Steese. A lot of guys go there to hunt 40 mile Caribou off 4 wheelers. I ran into some non residents a couple years ago who had killed a bull moose in Ferry Mngmt area and were up there hunting Caribou. The 40 mile herd was late coming in and it was still open in Sept.

It just gravels me to think that on the 15th if I were in the woods moose hunting I'd have to go home but non-res could stay another 10 DAYS!!! Yup, I've got to look in to this some more.

Mark the Bushrat! Where are you! I could use your input/insight on this one.

It's not a very big area.

Check the corrected version on ADF&G's web page.
    Closes the 15th for non-residents.
    But then - surely - the problem must be those "pesky" guides !
    Joe (Ak)

Moose

Unit 25C (Page 117)

Nonresident season: Sept. 5 – Sept. 15

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Check the corrected version on ADF&G's web page.
    Closes the 15th for non-residents.
    But then - surely - the problem must be those "pesky" guides !
    Joe (Ak)

Moose

Unit 25C (Page 117)

Nonresident season: Sept. 5 – Sept. 15
    Thanks for the heads up. I just went and found this on the ADF&G website:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2009–2010 Hunting Regulations Corrections
    Some of the information found in the 2009–2010 Hunting Regulations has been corrected. Please see the Corrections to 2009–2010 Hunting Regulations (PDF file 9 K) for more information.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The screen shot I posted was from the gmu25.pdf I had downloaded and is also in the printed one I have. I overlooked the link to the Corrections. So, I now stand corrected I feel a little better now, but maybe we can still get it opened until the 20th

Default Thanks, Joe!

Every year errors make it into the hunting regs. This is a great time to point out the need to not only look at the corrections, but also at any Emergency Orders, which can take effect even after the season has started. Note that you are obliged to follow regs that may have changed after you are afield.

In this case, the clue is a resident season that is shorter than the nonresident one. I'd be very surprised if we have any of those anywhere. In cases where there are concerns about the health of the resource, the nonresidents are usually the first to take the hit.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Ya, Mike you're right. Thanks to wantj434 for pointing out my oversight. I can't believe I missed it on the F&G website. That's why I posted the link here.