Thread: Kodiak= Biggest Blacktails?

Default Kodiak= Biggest Blacktails?

It seems that the biggest blacktailed deer always seem to come from Kodiak or are there other areas of the state that give up bigger deer?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

thats what thought, but go to blacktailcountry.com and check out those harvested by Jim Bachtail, in Southeast, hes got some monsters and several top trophies in the books.

Default biggest black tail

Kodiak might have the reputation of producing alot of good black tail but the largest heads are comming from southeast alaska.... take alot at the B@C book....

found a shed two springs ago on kodiak that if symetrical woulda scored an inch shy of the world record, i found the shed 14 yards off a four wheeler trail.

biggest racked and bodied Sitka's .... that would be Prince of Wales Island

Default racks

I gotta agree with Johnnie as far as racks go. But I've seen some big bodies in both PWS and on Kodiak. The Kodiak road system and Spruce Is., near Kodiak both have some hefty bucks. And Hawkins Is. Near Cordova has a reputaion locally for large bodied bucks. They just don't grow much for racks compared to Kodiak or POW.

i'm gonna step out on a limb having not done research on POW, but i'm gonna say that if you hunted both areas, i think you could come up some some identical deer. both areas have the habitat for big deer to disapear and get big if they wanted. i'd say you could hit either area and do just as well in both places

Some time ago I kinda averaged out the top of the B&C list. It was about tied for POW Island and Kodiak at about 15 each at the top end.

The difference is that hunters kill over 10,000 deer per year on Kodiak to get those entries and POW Island hunters kill between 2,500 and 3,000 to get those entries.

There are plenty of scoring bucks from both places that are never entered.

But the odds are much better on POW that among the deer you see on a hunt will have a higher % of bigger bucks.

Thumbs up Brwnbr...

Would you be so kind to post a pic of that shed? I'd love to feast my eyeballs on that half-rack just short of World record...good stuff.
    Thanks, Frank

Default Ill second that

I would love to get a look at that shed as well. Thanks in advance!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

shoto guys i ain't got a pic of it, next time someone comes to thouse with a digital camera i'll snap one and see if i can figure out how to post it. better yet, just hit me with a pm and your email addys and i know how to get that to you, should be able to do it in the next two or three days.

Default made an error

just did some checking book says 133 is the current record, i was told it was 126 and some change, the half rack i have woulda been 125 so i was off quite a bit. still can get some pics of it it you want, but i didn't realize the current deer was 133, sorry about the mis hap.