Thread: blacktail hunting

Default blacktail hunting

Hey need some info on taking a blacktail hunt need to know how , when and what to do. I am not wanting to spend a lot of money and would like to do my own hunt with a friend. how do i get to where i am going? what am i to do when i get there? any info would be great, and thanks.

Jason

How much money is not much money? Where do you live?

I did a hunt on Kodiak with my son and I with a flight from Seahawk Air for right around $1000. Of course, I had Alaska Airlines miles to get there.

I was looking at a flight out to Montague from Anchorage and it was going to run me nearly $2000 for myself and two kids. That's just too much for me for a few deer.

You could take the ferry to Prince of Wales probably for a little less, but fuel is going to bring the price up quick.

Charters by water can be cheaper out of Whittier, but I haven't found a source I like yet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Smile try cordova chamber of commerce?

They should have some sort of business association down there. Call the city and ask. Hitchenbrook is not far out of cordova so I am sure someone will drop you off to hunt. Once on hitchenbrook, just climb up the hills every morning and hunt the day. Great place to hunt.

Default A little advice

If you have never done this type of hunting before I would suggest you find a co-worker or friend or relative who has and go with them. There are many ways to hunt blacktail deer depending on where you go and what time of year. First you need to figure out where you want to hunt and how you are going to get there. Then you need to talk to a local biologist in the area and ask them about the hunting conditions and what you should expect. You also need to figure out what you are going to do if you harvest a deer. Do you have experience field dressing an animal? Do you know how to take care of the meat if you are going to be in the field for a number of days?

Hope this helps.

CubeCove

Default Cordova Bay Charters

If you decide to hunt Hinchenbrook (and I've never hunted there) check out Ron Horton @ www.OrcaBayCharters.com. I know Ron used to transport hunters (we used him for a couple of spring bear hunts) and, if Hinchenbrook isn't far, I'm sure he would be reasonable. He is also VERY reliable.

Phil

yes i am not an amature hunter i have killed a lot of white tail back home while staying at our deer camps. i guess i was wandering about cost for the ferry to cordova and then for a transport to one of the islands and what was on them to stay in and what to expect. thank you for your advise though it was helpfull.

Thanks for the info that is one of the places i was going to try. thanks again for the info i will contact him cuz reliable is what you need to look for if you ask me.