Thread: Chugach Passage

Default Chugach Passage

Greetings all.

Well as we prepare to winterize the boat we are already planning some trips for next season. One destination is Port Dick from Homer. I'd appreciate any tips from others who have been down in that area. We'll be running a 24' Tolman skiff w/ 140hp 4 stroke and 50 gal belly tank. So fuel cacheing will be an issue.

Of particular interest is advice for running the Chugach Passage I've heard that can be hazardous at times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice ride!

I don't spend much time out of Homer, but I have to say that your Tolman is very easy on the eyes. Please post more pics and some stats with the set up you are running.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have to say that your Tolman is very easy on the eyes. Please post more pics and some stats with the set up you are running.

I just added a few more pics to my album which I suppose you can see by clicking on my name/icon.

It's a composite of plywood incased in epoxy and fiberglass. It's a semi-vee hull. With no fuel and minimal gear it weighs 3400 lbs including motor. My wife and I built it in our garage and it took 173 6 hr days spread over about 2 years.

As I said it's a J24' with cabin, Suzi 140. Most common prop I use is a 3x14x19 alum but if we are running a kinda heavy I drop to a 3x13.25x19 ss. Using the larger prop we average about 20mph at 4k rpm and burn about 6 gal per hr. The gals per hour are slightly under that and the speed can be slighly more than that but thats what I base my trip calculations on. So with a 50 gal belly tank (it's actually 58 but I never count the last 8 gallons) that gives us about 8 hours of running time with a range of around 166 miles total.

For guages I have only a factory tach, trim guage, fuel guage, and fuel manager guage. For electronics we have a Garmin 4010 chartplotter, Garmin 340c depth/fishfinder. It's a dual battery system managed with a blue seas ACR. We have a Morad 156 hotstick antenna for the vhf. It has hydraulic steering.

The interior is bare bones simple and we use a portapotty. We use a basic coleman 2 burner propane stove and ice chests for food. It's essentially like camping. Simple has less to breakdown and weighs a lot less. We've spent several over nights on it this season and it's actually quite comfortable.

The dory flared sides give it amazing flotation and roll resistance. The 15 degree transom with narrow cut out and full height splashwell makes it handle following seas nicely. The semi-V hull provides a pretty comfortable ride in chop. Weve been in 6 foot chop/wind waves and though not comfortable never felt as though we had anything to worry about. Have also come in with a 5' following sea that was almost fun, these things track great.
    The bow flare and and spray rails makes for a very dry ride as well. Renn Tolman designed one hell of a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknBob View Post
    Renn Tolman designed one hell of a boat.
    Yes he did! Nice pics.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have been out that way several times to Windy Bay for blackies. Not lately though. As you round Dangerous Point you will know if it is save to go or not. Be prepared to stay several extra days if the wind and seas come up. Most every bay is a striaght shot to open water, so the seas and storms come right up the bays. On one trip, we had to stay an extra 7 days due to hurricaine winds.

I have done this trip by being dropped off and by taking zodiacs all the way around. Port Dick is about one of the few areas to seek shelter until you get past Gore Point. Last I heard a lot of the area has been clear cut which has affected hunting.

Be carful and be prepared.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I have been out that way several times to Windy Bay for blackies. Not lately though. As you round Dangerous Point you will know if it is save to go or not. Be prepared to stay several extra days if the wind and seas come up. Most every bay is a striaght shot to open water, so the seas and storms come right up the bays. On one trip, we had to stay an extra 7 days due to hurricaine winds.

Port Dick is about one of the few areas to seek shelter until you get past Gore Point.

Be carful and be prepared.

Good info.

We would for sure go prepared. We want to do a trip or two to fish that same area and cache some fuel for later, longer trips. I would expect to cache some in Port Chatham to ensure we would always have plenty to get back to Homer or at least Seldovia.

By looking at the charts I can see what you are saying about the bays being open to the Gulf. We would plan at least an overnighter in the area since that's a long haul for a day trip. Did you find anything for protection in the Rocky Bay area? It looks like it shoals by the river mouth but maybe there is somewhere in there to get some protection ??? If conditions made it marginal I suppose would could always dash back to Port Chatham and overnight there.

When you went to Windy/Rock Bays did you go through Chugach Passage or did you go outside the Islands?

Thanks

IAs you round Dangerous Point you will know if it is save to go or not.
    Oh yeah I forgot to ask. Are you referring to Dangerous Cape before Flat Island? I didn't remember seeing another area called Dangerous Point. We have only been as far as Flat Island / Magnet Rock so far.

Oh yeah I forgot to ask. Are you referring to Dangerous Cape before Flat Island? I didn't remember seeing another area called Dangerous Point. We have only been as far as Flat Island / Magnet Rock so far.
    You are correct Dangerous Cape

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Good info.

We would for sure go prepared. We want to do a trip or two to fish that same area and cache some fuel for later, longer trips. I would expect to cache some in Port Chatham to ensure we would always have plenty to get back to Homer or at least Seldovia.

By looking at the charts I can see what you are saying about the bays being open to the Gulf. We would plan at least an overnighter in the area since that's a long haul for a day trip. Did you find anything for protection in the Rocky Bay area? It looks like it shoals by the river mouth but maybe there is somewhere in there to get some protection ??? If conditions made it marginal I suppose would could always dash back to Port Chatham and overnight there.

When you went to Windy/Rock Bays did you go through Chugach Passage or did you go outside the Islands?

Thanks
    Don't remember much about Rocky Bay. We stayed in Chugach Bay. We went to the inside of the islands. We even went out to look at the islands a few times, but didn't see anything.

The times I have gone bear chasing, I have hunted the beaches at low tide and looked at the southern meadows.

I was lucky one year and got a subsistence goat permit.......and I got one. That year I was the only person to apply for 30 permits.

BE AWARE that most of that land is owned by the Native Cooperation out of Port Graham.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

You are correct Dangerous Cape

We have fished from Pogibshi to Flat Island and have witnessed the rips in that area. So we are always sure to stay at least a mile out at the change of tides. We learned this the first time when we were only about 1/4 mile out and were right in the middle of a rip as it began to form. It is spooky, glad to have seen it once but don't need to do it again. Luckily we weren't anchored up so we could get out of there quickly. It's pretty impressive how fast they form and grow in size from ripples to standing waves. The speed at which they grow in diameter is impressive too, we were moving out of it at 2 mph and it was keeping up with us.

We have fished from Pogibshi to Flat Island and have witnessed the rips in that area. So we are always sure to stay at least a mile out at the change of tides. We learned this the first time when we were only about 1/4 mile out and were right in the middle of a rip as it began to form. It is spooky, glad to have seen it once but don't need to do it again. Luckily we weren't anchored up so we could get out of there quickly. It's pretty impressive how fast they form and grow in size from ripples to standing waves. The speed at which they grow in diameter is impressive too.

The first time I went to that side of the coast, I went with some friends. Being a young green horn, I didn't know much. We stopped on the Homer spit and inflated 18 foot zodiaks with 25hp motors. I thought we were going across to Seldovia. As we rounded Dangerous Cape, it became clear to me that we were not and we ended up in Chugach Bay 2 days later.

A number of years later a friend decided to take us around in a 25 Boston Whaler and as we rounded the corner all we saw was 12 footers and we turned around and spent the night in Seldovia. We made it out to Chugach bay the next day. We planed to stay for 4 days over memorial day weekend. We ended up spending 17 days and busted every pole in my tent. The bear meat was good.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469