Thread: Recurve or Compound 4 kids

Default Recurve or Compound 4 kids

I have a 9 year old girl and a 6 year old son that want to shot with me. I've read some of the old threads that recommend different compound bows but wanted to see what everyone thought about recurve or compound when learning to shot.

Thanks

All my kids started with recurves..all quickly begged to be switched to compounds because that's what I shot. They all shoot compounds now with sights. None of them took to shooting the recurves at all.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I started with a recurve, and hunted with it for 10 years. Switched to a compound for quite a few years, but found my way back to a recurve.

I honestly think it's important to learn the history and traditions of archery, not necessarily how to shoot trad. I think it depends on what you shoot and which way you want to steer them.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Maybe let them try both and see which one they like and then go with that. As long as they are having fun they will stay interested.

compounds are easy, like rifles... probably a good way to start, get some positive responses. I started with recurves when I was a little kid, I hated compounds but that was 15 years ago or so, compounds are so much smoother now and the ones I initially shot didn't have sights.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Your kids will want to shoot what you shoot. My family shoots compounds mostly, but we also have a few stick bows. When I am shooting my recurve or longbow my kids want to shoot the same. In all honesty shooting anything at all is what is important. What I do recommend is, get the best bow you can afford (compound or traditional). Quality bows allow my kids (6 & 3) to shoot well and enjoy archery. Toy bows are more trouble than they are worth. Start your kids off right. Get them a good bow and good arrows, couple that with good form and your kids will be off on a successful archery adventure.