Thread: Portable Electric Fence

Question Portable Electric Fence

http://www.electrobearguard.com/

Has anybody here used this product? Will it work on moose too?

Electric fences, in my experience of having cattle and horses inside an electric fence, don't stop moose 100% of the time. I've observed moose walk right up to the fence, then just jump over it. Bears get zapped because they are less athletic and lead with their nose. Why would you want to stop a moose? Garden?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Electric fences, in my experience of having cattle and horses inside an electric fence, don't stop moose 100% of the time. I've observed moose walk right up to the fence, then just jump over it. Bears get zapped because they are less athletic and lead with their nose. Why would you want to stop a moose? Garden?
    Yep, garden. Looking at that fence set up also for camping.

Like I said, I wouldn't bother for the garden. They work great for bears, though.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

They work great on the garden you just have too place the top row of wire about 5 + feet above ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post
    They work great on the garden you just have too place the top row of wire about 5 + feet above ground.
    Great info! Thanks everyone!

I use 4' orange plastic safety fence from the local hardware store around the perimeter of the garden. I've never had a moose cross that fence. Last year a couple of beavers went under it and stole two cabbages, but that's the only loss to animals in 15+ years. On the other hand, I have moose jump a 5' cedar fence with ease when they want to nibble on my apple trees.

We have an electric fence at our cabin near Trapper Creek. Set it up normal height. We had problems before the fence with bear vandalizing things while we were gone (weekend cabin). We have not had a bear problem since the fence went up (5 years now).

Moose, however, seem to walk right through the thing. Every year I've had to repair the fence after a moose (you can see the tracks) goes through it. A 1,000 square miles out there and they have to walk through the 100' by 100' patch of ground surrounded by my fence!