Thread: Geese?

Default Geese?

is it too early for gesse near anchorage or am i just too dumb and looking in the wrong places? i have tons of goose decoys from silo's and shells to full bodies. just dont know exactly where to go. any and all advice greatly appreciated.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Too early.

There are park geese around, or they were around, but right now there is not much going on.

There is very little goose hunting around anchorage since the AWACS crash. Sometimes on the ACWR you might get lucky. Once the northern birds start moving through in a couple of weeks the best place to be is out on the hay flats when they are flying over. Sometimes goose bay gets some flocks.

do they kill all the geese around here in the spring time cause of the crash?
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    No not all. Just the ones that land on base.

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    Sort of. At the time the local population was over 5,000 geese. The USFWS and ADFG started a spring egg gathering program for natives. They could gather eggs from nests in the city parks as well as the coastal refuge. They also moved goslings that were almost fledge over to the Su flats. It took about 5 years to get the population down to below the 2,000 mark that they thought was be "safe" for bird strikes. In reality they pushed the city population down to below 1,500.

On base they stopped mowing the grass near the runways and kept a guy on staff to chase geese and kill them if they didn't leave. Same program at ANC with noise cannons and what not.

The city started spraying the park lawns near lakes with some kind of extract that smells like grape juice gone south. It takes away one food source. However they don't spray lawns away from the lakes such as the Park Strip ball fields and the cemetary near the Sheraton down town. Lots of geese feeding in the mornings there come the end of September.

Talking Kinda

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    On base they stopped mowing the grass near the runways and kept a guy on staff to chase geese and kill them if they didn't leave. Same program at ANC with noise cannons and what not.
    Something like that I jumped 30 tonight and the day guy had over 400 in 4 different dispersals. I have also been seeing a lot more ducks the past week and a half. So there are new birds showing up. Maybe shot off the su-flats, Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    No not all. Just the ones that land on base.

That is the BASH program. (Fitting name)

Bird Air Strike Hazard.

Some bases have a volunteer programs to help with knocking out the migratory birds in the spring near the vital airspace areas. You get to hunt in the spring kind-of. Except you have to log all birds, shoot them with high powered pellet guns, shotguns (Some Areas) and you don't get to keep the birds.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
    That is the BASH program. (Fitting name)

Bird Air Strike Hazard.

Some bases have a volunteer programs to help with knocking out the migratory birds in the spring near the vital airspace areas. You get to hunt in the spring kind-of. Except you have to log all birds, shoot them with high powered pellet guns, shotguns (Some Areas) and you don't get to keep the birds.
    Not all volunteer, some get payed,and not just in the spring. Also it's just part of the job. When you have moose and bears, you get to use rubber slugs and paintball guns. And still, thats not all there is to the job. But I won't get into the rest.

Default Bash

I'm one of the BASH team guys on Wainwright. I've been chasing off geese for the last month. Monday it was like someone had flipped a switch. I only had one small batch of 17 left. They're leaving the Fairbanks area. Delta should be seeing geese this week. ANC should see them in the next day or two for the ones headed that way. It's snowing here this morning and that will get them hauling outta here. sad sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    I'm one of the BASH team guys on Wainwright. I've been chasing off geese for the last month. Monday it was like someone had flipped a switch. I only had one small batch of 17 left. They're leaving the Fairbanks area. Delta should be seeing geese this week. ANC should see them in the next day or two for the ones headed that way. It's snowing here this morning and that will get them hauling outta here. sad sigh.
    Tell MR Gray HI.

Default movin birds

My hunting partner works down near the river. Last night there were ducks in large flocks moving up the Tannana heading towards Delta. Much larger than the little family groups. Looks like the interior is about ready to lose it's birds in a hurry.

Default You guy's...

should be getting more & more geese showing up, as it's freezing here on the Lower Yukon, & many of the geese have left, only some stragglers...they're all heading east...