Thread: Mystery Ranch Pack

Default Mystery Ranch Pack

I bought a Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 pack and used it on a sheep hunt in Alaska in August. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed when you load this pack up with 60-80lbs that it becomes unstable. I was getting tossed all over the place comeing off the mountains with mine. Any ideas on what i may need to do or adjust or is it just how it is. My guide and the other hunter in camp were both using Barney packs and were getting along fine.

Have you checked the obvious? Does the harness fit your torso properly, is the pack fitted for you? Did you have the weight loaded to high or too low? Too low and it will be wanting to tip you over backwards so you are then always straining to lean forward and bend over, fighting it. To high and your top heavy and out of balance. That's where I would start.

...it becomes unstable. I was getting tossed all over the place...
    When I had a 130# sheep load in my G7000 a few weeks ago, I noticed a fair deal of what I will call "weight shift." When I would turn/pivot the momentum of the moving pack would rock me around a bit. I surmise that a lot of this is due to the fact that my G7000, and to a lesser extent your NICE frame, has a narrow "frame" or footprint on one's back compared to an external frame pack. I don't have a ruler out, but I would wager that the distance between my stays is only 60% or so of the distance between the outermost bars on a Barney's pack; less distance would equate to a less stable platform by my logic. Think fat man sitting on a bar stool.

With more standard ~65# loads I did not have such a problem, in fact at those weights are when I feel that an internal frame pack can actually excel over an external frame.

I agree with Synd's recommendations to check your packing. Approach the loading more methodically, and I bet you reduce this problem in the 60-80# range. If you can't get it to work, give the folks at MR a call and they may have some advice. Though overkill for your application, MR now has a Bolstered Ventilation and Stability (BVS) system that could beef up your frame if you want to go that route.

I found the lack of balance much more pronounced in external frame packs. It was actually the biggest factor in making me take the jump to internals. I would agree that pack fit and loading is probably the biggest factors in this situation.

Appreciate the ideas. Alot of my promblem is due to my inexperience, I was definetly felt like i was going to tip over backwards alot. I thought this was because i was to heavy on top. i had the straps that hold the pack towards your shoulders as tight as they would go. I did adjust the torso 2 different times and finally got that where it fills right. The other adjustments are pretty basic unless i am missing something. i am thinking it is probable the way i am loading the pack. I am just trying to decide if an external pack would be a better option for this kind of trip. i agree that when i had a normal 50 to 60 lbs it felt fine, but when i put the horns of my ram on top of a full pack and started off the mountain i am lucky to be alive. i ended up with a torn legament in my ankle after getting launched. i just had so much weight shifting going on. My guide ended up taking the horns and we reloaded my pack which was a huge improvement. I'll keep working with it. Thanks

Default load distro

sounds like it may have been more of a load distrobution issue vs a pack issue itself.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand View Post
    I bought a Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 pack and used it on a sheep hunt in Alaska in August. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed when you load this pack up with 60-80lbs that it becomes unstable. I was getting tossed all over the place comeing off the mountains with mine. Any ideas on what i may need to do or adjust or is it just how it is. My guide and the other hunter in camp were both using Barney packs and were getting along fine.
    I have a NICE 6500, but dont' have a whole lot of experience with it. However, I have packed out a caribou and a goat with it. It felt pretty stable when packing out both those animals. More stable than the Arcteryx Bora 95 I used to use to pack animals out of the mountains with. I'm thinking at only 80 lbs load distribution is probably the reason for the instability. Best way to figure it out is load up your pack to that weight with the bulk of the weight at various levels in the pack on different occasions and see if you can recreate the problem and then fix it by adjusting where teh bulk of the pack weight is located in the pack.