Thread: ice shack skis

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default ice shack skis

getting close to start building my 8x10 hardside and need some ideas on skis to tow it on. it seems most lakes are not wind polished around here and i am planning on getting back into some lakes that are not road accessable. i was thinking scaffold planks coated with a umhv. what if i covered the whole bottom with umhv? i am thinking that the holes would make drag and wear out the ply and foam insulation. shack is gonna be made out of 3 inch foam insulated panels whitch are light but with the floor being so stout and not being sure about what all is going inside i am unable to estiamte weight, its gonna be fairly heavy though. still thinking there should be a ice fishing forum.

Default Ice shanty skis

I haver never had a wood type shack that we towed very much. Have owned a few but they were always permanent shantys(left out alll winter). Although I did tow them out to start with and occasional moves to better fishing.
    Broke the skids for my spear shack last winter leaving stormy. must have been at least 10- 15 years old when I got them 4-5 years ago from the old fellow who gave me the spear shanty.
    Anyway these were just wood and I need to build a new set myself.
    Not sure why you would need uhmw on the bottom though. I would think some plain old Galvanized tin would work just fine.Would also be a lot cheaper too. Unless you are running over a lot of gravel or a few paved roads any kind of thin metal will work.
    I have a husky hauler plastic sled that has more miles than I can count on it and the plastic is scratched and worn but still tows just fine. no holes in the plastic at all.
    I an thinking of making my new ones out of 4x4's with galvanized tin nailed on. Just going to cut an angle on the front.
    How do you plan to bend the scaffold planks? Homeade steamer?
    Those would sure work great if a guy could get them cheap enough! They are even tested and load rated I believe.
    CHRIS

You can get old down hill skis for next to nothing and 2 or 3 pairs would do the trick.

yea id have to curl the scaffold planks for sure and havent figured that out yet. i could rig up a steamer pretty easily. the umhv would sure be nice instead of metal. the metal has more drag and will freeze to the lake more readily. some of the guys at work are suggesting four snowmachine skis for some pivoting action down the trails. would sure be some work towing this thing down trails. would like to hang out on lake louise for a few days or paxson, summit. maybe some smaller lakes around louise area. hate to leave this shack out all winter. jsut cant trust anyone these days.

Lightbulb two canoes

Borrow a couple canoes and skid them under it. They do good in snow.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

WHat about using a couple akios? I know where there might be a couple. I do not know their length though.

I saw a guy pull in 12 inches+ of sheetrock with a tundra on a pair mounted behind a spreader bar.

how big is the iceshack you can get some heavy duty toboggans made out of plastic and modify them pretty easy to fit a structure on it, i think two toboggans would probly work pretty well they cost like 100 dollars each at walmart

We pull our 8x12's on uhmw screwed on the skids. The skids are 4x8's.I think we got it from the place behind the movie theater in wasilla. Around a hundred bucks for both ski,s. We tow behind snowmachines upto 25 mph no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    We pull our 8x12's on uhmw screwed on the skids. The skids are 4x8's.I think we got it from the place behind the movie theater in wasilla. Around a hundred bucks for both ski,s. We tow behind snowmachines upto 25 mph no problem.
    This guy has a sweet shanty!! Warm and comfortable.

Mike

UHMW on the skids.....good stuff. I built a custom insulated portable that breaks down into its own freight sled....it's like a small house! good times. I can go down any trail with it and set it up in about 15-20 mins. I even used UHMW on the custom freight sled...but when my buddies had snow machine troubles.....we loaded everything into one sled and it all still fit.

***DISCLAIMER***
    Before anybody goes wig-out/ do-gooder/ whistle blower/ AOD-AN (authority notifier) (what would hillary duff do?)..... there were FOUR of us fishing a 15 a day bag limit area for Burbot.......that's why there are 60 of em in front of my snow machine. And yes....the burbot do have a full curl from all angles.

Attached Images Attached Images

awesome! mmm...burbot!

You're getting good advice - I plan to do skids with UHMW when I get enough spare change to build one finally - been wanting a hardside for a few years now, just need the extra room with kiddos and the warmth for the wife and baby. Haven't found the time to hunt for enough scrap to do it and haven't found a wad of hundreds to buy material either. I like my quickfish though so it's not so bad!

post pics of the build and when it's done!

(PS - visit ice shanty for an ice fishing forum - lots of great folks there)

mainer...looking forward to checking the hooch out. I have a flip top otter 'lodge'. uses the medium sled, works great everything fits inside and has a cover.

as for ski's. We used 2x4s on edge on our old permanent back in Mn...ran some aluminum banding as wear strips. Heck we ran this right down the road LOL! (lived 2 houses from the boat launch though). And yes, grumpy old men 2 was filmed within MINUTES of my house LOL! Matter of fact, two of the lakes they fished on, I fished on a regular basis...some of that HAD to wear off haha. oh and the sled scene where she's racing through the 'trees' is actually the golf course at phalen lake, another place I used to fish . Man brings back tons of memories everytime I see that movie.

Anyways, back to the 2x4's. I dont think they'll do so hot in deep snow...you could lay them flat, and sand the end giving you the 3.5" surface for your ski, then slap on some uhmw or banding steel/aluminum...should work fine I'd imagine! If not run 4 2x4's flat....giving you 7"es per ski..that'd be much gooder

There were lots of skis at value village yesterday, add those to your 2X's and you should do fine.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

got a hack of an overkill tip on iceshenty.com. gaurdrail, that would actually work really well and the center concave area would work great for mounting. add some umhv and you would have some super floatation. sure would be heavy though.

think about using your teenagers old "Snowboards" .....much wider than old ski's, have seen 4 on a freight sled, worked well.

gaurdrail and overflow at even 0 dont think I would like to be part of that.