Thread: 16A Moose and the bears!!!!

Red face 16A Moose and the bears!!!!

Just travelled by boat the last two days from Rabidioux creek, at the Big Susitna down to willow. The trip was ony about 25 miles down river but we stopped every mile and called/scraped with antlers and hunted for moose. Just wanted to say I have never seen so many black bear and grizzly bear tracks in my life and I have hunted Alaska for 30 years. Moose tracks were weeks old, no fresh sign anywhere. Every gravel bar had both bear tracks on top of each other. Black on Grizz and Grizz on Black. Unbelievable.
    So if anyone is looking for a grizzly or Blackie, GO THERE-- BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY!! Good luck to all!!! Ken

Thumbs up nice!

i've been looking for a good place to hunt some blacky's and this sounds about where i need to go. thanks for the tip and anyother info would be greatly appreciated! good looking.

I was on the big Su also and saw lots of fresh bear sign and no fresh moose sign

Whop2000, I'm not sure exactly where you were at other than between Rabideuix and Willow, but guys going out there looking for blackies are going to be dissapointed. I've spent 10 yrs tromping around out there and there are 100 browns for every black... maybe less (blacks).

Salmon habitat + Healthy brown bear population = few blackies

Default Tags

You will need a black bear tag but in 16a, you don't need a brown bear tag. So you could take both with just the black tag. Oh yea, it is also one grizzly allowed every year too. Need other info, PM me.

Default Dkwarthog, maybe so but....

I was suprised as well of the amount of blackie tracks that we saw. With all the Brown bear tracks, I would have assumed that the blacks would have left the area. I can't explain it, just reporting what I witnessed this week. A lot of those blackie tracks were also sow with cubs. Explain that one to me. maybe the fish are enough for the brownies? Ken

Thats interesting...I did not see any blackie tracks in the area I've been in and not as many browns as in previous years. I guess it just goes to show that their habits are dynamic and may shift areas a little from year to year...

Although, I did had a "pucker" moment last night after dark on the river with a very irritated brownie who apparently didnt approve of my presence. I hate popping jaws after the sun goes down...

Default Black Bear tracks and the bear that made them

I would echo the bear sign...not only did I see lots of sign, but even one of the bears that made it

Default Spent a little time....

in that neck of the woods. Saw 3 to 4 bears for every moose. Could glass up multiple blackies at any one time, and had several close encounters with a big grizzly, and a sow with cubs, not to mention also being able to glass up a grizzly at will. The bears were stacked like chord wood in there. (Hint, they don't like miller lite, as he drank one and left us the rest) Guess how many moose calves I saw???

ZERO

This was after 17 days in the field, and looking at upwards of 40 moose. There has been some controversy concerning bear snaring in an adjacent unit. I was on the fence concerning this practice, and the many implications it introduces to Alaska. I am no longer on the fence. The bear numbers need reduced in this particular area, and frankly, I don't know that snaring for the blackies will be enough. Not unless something is done with the brown variety as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    The bear numbers need reduced in this particular area, and frankly, I don't know that snaring for the blackies will be enough. Not unless something is done with the brown variety as well.
    Where can you get discriminating snares? I want some that only get the primest large wolf and can't find them anywhere! LOL

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default No fish in Cache Creek this year

I spent a week in August trying to find a moose or bear in the Cache Creek drainage this year. When I asked a couple locals in the drainage about bear sightings, they told me the creek had a flood four years ago that prevented the salmon from spawning.
    Therefore, there were no salmon returning this year. (four year cycle) They said the bears showed found no fish and quickly departed for better streams elsewhere. If the flood mentioned above affected enough streams in the area, this could be a possible explaination the concentration of bears farther south and the lack of moose calves.
    Just my thoughts.