Thread: Moose Jumps in Lake

Default Moose Jumps in Lake

Just got back from a successful "Any Bull permit" from the north side of the AK range. Moose got shot and ran back in a lake. 1.25 mile pack out to camp and our 170B. Lots of wildlife and scenery. Looks to be about a 43 incher. An ALPACA raft would have come in handy to float the meat down the river.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Good job, and congrats.

The last three that I shot were in the water and I let them get on shore then pulled the trigger, but each one of them somehow ended up back in the water. Someone above just wanted me to work harder I guess.

Again congrats.

Default How far did he go?

Did he fall over dead right there, or did you really have to work for him? Is the 170B a plane? The alpaca would have worked! I know a guy who floated out part of a buffalo in one. He paddled with his harms while laying on the meat! Out near copper river area.

Congrats! Did you or anyone take any other critters that you saw, like bears?

Default ATV

Here we are after 2 solid days of meat hauling, in front of the Aerial Transport Vehicle, aka Cessna 170B. Thanks to my hunting partner Vic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hate it when that happens.

Splash Moose!! At least they float. Don't ask me how I know

Congrats, looks like another great Alaskan Adventure!

Default Other stuff

Saw lots of antlerless moose, sublegal bulls, 1 lynx, 5-6 caribou, sheep way up, and tracks of wolves, bears, fox, etc,. The 170 is my partners plane. We hauled out the moose cape for him and that was another experience.

Thats the Moose hunt you'll never forget.

The author Patrick Mc Manus call'd it "A Fine and Pleasant Misery"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nice hunt,

I also had a moose down in the water last season. I always bring a ratchet rope and 100 ft. of rope. Just tied off to his neck, found a sturdy tree.....and ratcheted him all the way up on a small incline where he would bleed out well. That same ratchet rope goes under the snow machine seat too.....

Default state fair gizmo

I saw some goofy looking rope/piece of metal thing at the state fair that could have worked as a wench. I'm thinking about buying that and an the biggest Alpaca raft to access the other side of the river and maybe float out meat.

Default rope-a-long

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Nice hunt,

I also had a moose down in the water last season. I always bring a ratchet rope and 100 ft. of rope. Just tied off to his neck, found a sturdy tree.....and ratcheted him all the way up on a small incline where he would bleed out well. That same ratchet rope goes under the snow machine seat too.....
    And I thought I was the only one out there with a rope-a-long in case an easy drag is possible. Those things work great.

Default Moose hunt

Quote:Here we are after 2 solid days of meat hauling, in front of the Aerial Transport Vehicle, aka Cessna 170B. Thanks to my hunting partner Vic.
    Is Vic an RN at Prov OR? Just curious cause he told me about a similar story.
    Carol

Isn't that fun! Had the luxury of doing that twice. Once in the Bonsilla with a 62" that fell on the bank but managed to get back up and make it to the "safety" of the river knee deep in mud waist deep in water. No winch and the skiff couldn't pull him up with half a sheet of moose rack digging in the knee deep mud. Another time on a pond off of the Kobuk river above Ambler. If we would of had a winch we wouldnt of had anything to tie the other end to anyway.