Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Where to take the wife

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Where to take the wife

    Just want to take the wife out and see if she could get a couple birds. Does anyone have suggestions.

  2. #2
    Member Mr. Grayling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Where are you located at?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    We are in the Matanuska Valley.

  4. #4
    Member BIGAKSTUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Not sure where you mean by the Valley, Talkeetna? Willow? Hurricane gulch area up the Parks hwy in the morning or evening usually has spruce hens right off the road. There is a trail around the East Fork area of the Chulitna that leads up to an old Antimony mine. I think it should be on your Alaska Atlas if you have one. I have seen hens up that trail dang near every time I've been up it. Also a good place to spot a black bear, but besides all that its just a nice walk.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Sorry we live in wasilla. Thank you for your suggestions.

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    1. Take the ComSat Road to the end, just before you get to Talkeetna. There are ski trails and the Larson Creek Trail that always have grouse on them.
    2. Yoder Road, Montana Creek Road, Oilwell Road off of Petersville Road and just about every side road with gravel have grouse. Early morning they are getting rocks to eat. When you drive up to them they will fly to the treeline. Get out and go shoot them. It is road hunting, but you cover more ground that way and see more birds. Rarely are they flocked up enough in one spot to get your limit.
    3. For Ptarmagin you need to access the higher ridges and valleys with thick willows and rock outcroppings. Hatchers Pass, Ship Creek, Sheep Mountain and Eureka will get you started.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •